Thread: training deck hands

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default training deck hands

From time to time we hear from people on this site, enquiring how they can get a position at sea. I have looked on the Trinity House web site, and they are advertising for trainee deck hands, operating on their ships, 21 days on and 21 days off, if read it correctly it could be a good way for a young person to get to sea, and the pay looks reasonable as well, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: training deck hands

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    From time to time we hear from people on this site, enquiring how they can get a position at sea. I have looked on the Trinity House web site, and they are advertising for trainee deck hands, operating on their ships, 21 days on and 21 days off, if read it correctly it could be a good way for a young person to get to sea, and the pay looks reasonable as well, kt
    A far cry from our 12 days per annum plus Sundays at sea which averaged 10 -15 per annum (if lucky) and 24 month Articles, but you won't see many foreign shores working on Trinity House vessels.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: training deck hands

Sadly the world that we enjoyed Ivan is long gone as you know, but if i was a youngster looking for something a bit different to the mundane work available to most of them it seems, such as supermarket work etc, i would be applying like a shot. They train you up to AB rank the advert says, i wonder if that type of sea time would enable you to take mates tickets ? kt

- - - Updated - - -

This is the advert which i meant to attach to my first post.

trainee deck hand Trinity House
    R689823

4. Thanks Ivan Cloherty, Doc Vernon thanked for this post