Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mexico

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    Dave, I only experienced the old saying two of fat and one of lean once, And that was aboard a Strath boat chartered to Harrisons. Other than that I sailed in worse as regards your nose bag as you know the saying came from the ships colours on there ships funnels . Terry.
    Red Lead Ted,
    Good choice of picture, I did 2 trips in her and I think (it was a long time ago) that one of them was on the West Indies, Mexico, US Gulf ports run.
    Tampico looked like a typical wild west town, and at that time the Panuco River, had a lot of T2 tankers laid-up along its banks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

His name was William Patrick Young R403765 thank you ....I have all his service books but no mention of Mexico...but he said he went there with a ship

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did 3 trips on tankers running up and down the west coast of Mexico, loading in Salina Cruz and discharging in ports all the way up as far as the U.S.A border. Some great ports such as ensenada, manzanillo, rosarito and Mazatlan. Dirt cheap runs ashore, far better than the Carribbean coast. Only went to Tampico on the east side, didn't like it, got thrown in jail for a night and a day over an argument in a bar over the price of drinks.
    On the west coast we were on charter to Pemex, very laid back. Buries had a tie in with a Mexican outfit and often saw some of their bulkers out there. This was in the early 80's.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert George Young View Post
    His name was William Patrick Young R403765 thank you ....I have all his service books but no mention of Mexico...but he said he went there with a ship
    His service books will not show what ports he visited, it will only show

1.Name of vessel, its port of registry, official number, and NHP/BHP
    2. Port and date of joining vessel
    3.Port and date of leaving vessel
    4. Trading limits FGN (anywhere in the world twixt nominated north and south latitudes) HT Home Trade (between Elbe and Brest. Sometimes MT which were extended HT limits usually only as far as Santander in Bay of Biscay.
    5 Ability normally VG (Very Good) DR Declined to report (Bad) VNC Voyage Not Completed (could be a number of reasons, hospitalised, died, etc etc)
    6. Conduct, same as 5
    7. Master' signature and Shipping Master's signature, or ENG2 in lieu of latter if no shipping office available.

You'd get the same entries whether on a one week voyage or a two year voyage, as in my time and your father's vessels trading FG signed 24 month Articles, but the voyage didn't necessarily last two years, longest I did was 22 months, ports visited would have filled a book.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    Red Lead Ted,
    Good choice of picture, I did 2 trips in her and I think (it was a long time ago) that one of them was on the West Indies, Mexico, US Gulf ports run.
    Tampico looked like a typical wild west town, and at that time the Panuco River, had a lot of T2 tankers laid-up along its banks.
    Dave, Tampico as you say never hit the big lights, As for a wild west town I had a bloody good laugh at that because it did, But it had a lot to offer us guys with our sub, And for me just like Vera Cruz it ticked all the boxes Regards Terry.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    His service books will not show what ports he visited, it will only show

1.Name of vessel, its port of registry, official number, and NHP/BHP
    2. Port and date of joining vessel
    3.Port and date of leaving vessel
    4. Trading limits FGN (anywhere in the world twixt nominated north and south latitudes) HT Home Trade (between Elbe and Brest. Sometimes MT which were extended HT limits usually only as far as Santander in Bay of Biscay.
    5 Ability normally VG (Very Good) DR Declined to report (Bad) VNC Voyage Not Completed (could be a number of reasons, hospitalised, died, etc etc)
    6. Conduct, same as 5
    7. Master' signature and Shipping Master's signature, or ENG2 in lieu of latter if no shipping office available.

You'd get the same entries whether on a one week voyage or a two year voyage, as in my time and your father's vessels trading FG signed 24 month Articles, but the voyage didn't necessarily last two years, longest I did was 22 months, ports visited would have filled a book.
    Ivan, I would have thought you went back far enough to have signed 48 month Articles, Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Red Lead Ted;338405]

Ivan, I would have thought you went back far enough to have signed 48 month Articles, Terry. /QUOTE]

Terry you can bet your bottom dollar had they still been around I would have ended up on a 44 month trip!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert George Young View Post
    You will need to obtain the Voyage Record Cards from the Guildhall Library London for the Ships,this can be somewhat of an expense if there are many Ships,but it would certainly tell you which one he went to Mexico on.
    Cheers

Contact them first as they need time

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/thin...e-history.aspx

Look at bottom of page for Contact details
    Ask them about the Ships in question and how much etc
    Cheers

https://cityoflondon-self.achieveser...8b6f4eb76&id=1
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 18th November 2019 at 08:38 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

9. Thanks Robert George Young thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dad was William Patrick Young
    4 July 1921
    Warrington

Thank you

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As said the Voyage Record Cards are what you need for all the Ports called at!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2