Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pilot ladders

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pilot ladders

We had Boat Drill on the EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND in Montreal harbour in 1955. Several boats were in the water just sailing around when one got too close to the entrance and the St Lawrence River.
    The river got a hold and they shot down stream rather fast and disappeared under the bridge and away.
    They landed about 20 miles away and left the lifeboat there and they all came back on a bus, they said they all felt embarrassed sat on a bus a thousand miles from the sea wearing life jackets.
    A tug eventually found the boat and towed it back to Montreal,

Last edited by Captain Kong; 25th October 2019 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will never forget when I was aboard the M.V.Eucadia on the hook somewhere in the Indian ocean, Sunday morning the skipper came into the mess room Anyone fancy a little trip over to that beautiful little island about 3 miles away I will get the cook to pack us all a lunch and you lads can take a few beers each it looks perfect for swimming, I was the first to jump up and ok a large portion break the boredom, The skipper and 6 of us lowered the port boat into the sea and and started rowing towards the island weather was perfect sea was sky blue clean and although we had to navigate coral we pitched yards from the beach, All hands where swimming amongst tropical fish under and over the side of the boat great day had by all, About 5-6pm that evening the skipper said ok lads lets get this boat back aboard, Now there was a swell that was getting heavier by the minute and 3 on oars either side of the boat which was a clinker built boat was bloody hard going indeed. We did eventually make it to the ship but where all bloody knackered, After hooking the boat up in the then very heavy swell and housing her back onto her chokes I remember the skipper turning to us and saying I hope you all took something from that experience the sea was like glass when we set of it was a bit different getting back with six oars imagine if your life depended on it one day...…….. Stand down gentlemen and I must say it was very enjoyable. He new what he had done alright he had given us an insight into a real boat drill. Still here to tell the tale Happy days lads Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John, I was deck stores on Shell tankers and it was my job to make sure that all rigging and things associated were in good shape. Pilot ladders were checked regularly. This was back in the fifties, perhaps the deckhands are not quite as conscience as we were then. All the best. Regards Frank Greenfield.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think all in all that the main difference nowadays is the decrease in standards at sea - now everyone has the same piece of paper and there is no reward for extra learning or knowledge.

I recall the bosun repairing pilot ladders and the finished job was probably better than the original. As was mentioned, pilot ladders now are constructed in certified premises ashore, having said which we often wonder who certified them as interpretation of the requirements is not universal. And, of course, what the crew do with them once they are on board is a wonder. Probably one of the most frightening experiences (touch wood) that I have had was to emerge at deck level after a 7 metre climb to find the ladder held in place by 2 crewmen standing on it, no lashings or anything.

In the hope of getting the message through, the pilot ladder safety campaign is held every year, and the results passed on to IMPA among others.

Regards

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lads, we have got so far off the topic of ' Pilot Ladders ' that rather than delete all the 'Off Topic posts ' , I have created a new thread called "Ship
    Painting Days"
    and have included all your posts on the subject in it as the posts were very interesting. Please try and stay on topic - thanks.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 2nd November 2019 at 01:10 AM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stay on topic Chris, that is the problem.

You see some of them went up the pilot ladder and once back on deck got a bit lost.
    Should have stayed with Jacobs one. LOL
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Likes Chris Allman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Take a look at this, Interesting regulations regarding pilot ladders 9 steps max in between spreaders, But usually less depending on the ships draught. And not for the faint hearted Terry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {terry scouse}

9. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ted.
    Can't remember now but I think the ladders on the tankers i was on had two spreaders, possibly for when we were light ship.
    Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    Take a look at this, Interesting regulations regarding pilot ladders 9 steps max in between spreaders, But usually less depending on the ships draught. And not for the faint hearted Terry.
    We had a port on sale here by the name of Le Gopner Port.
    Said to be a good spreader. LOL
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi Ted.
    Can't remember now but I think the ladders on the tankers i was on had two spreaders, possibly for when we were light ship.
    Des
    Yes I would agree Des, I have seen that before myself Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast