Thread: 40 yr reunion

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 40 yr reunion

Just recently returned from overseas back to Brisbane. Visited Finland, Norway, England, Wales, Bombay and Hong Kong. All in 5 weeks. The highlights of the trip was attending the Battle of Britain commemoration air show at Duxford AND catching up with 3 mates from 40yrs ago. We all sailed with Bank Line and the particular ship was the "Birchbank". We only made a night of it as it was organised with little notice. They were Steve Braund from Exeter 2nd Mate, John Roberts from Holyhead 4/E, Peter Norman from Milford Haven Lecky and me Rod Nissen from Brisbane 3/E. Alan Lloyd from South Shields 5/E had to cancel at last minute.

It was a great night as we recalled memories of a great ship and a fantastic group of Mates and Engineers who mostly got on really well!!! We were on the bulk sugar run initially so quick load in North Queensland but a long stay in Penang or Port Klang discharging with grabs and derricks. Memories of trishaw races from the Hong Kong Bar down to the wharf just in time to get the last launch back. At that time we checked all the albums progressively back to the 1940s and we had the most photos of crew off any one ship. Sadly the HK Bar went up in flames years later and most of the albums were lost. However John Roberts had some friends go back recently and our album survived!! Then Townsville to Hamburg with zinc concentrate where we paid off.

Just in case anyone from Bank Line reads this and knows any of us we are looking forward to another reunion in about 5 years. I usually get back to the UK once every year so interested in catching up with anyone before that.

"You think you're a merchant seaman but you're only a Bank Line bum".

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: 40 yr reunion

Hoe that you find all that you seek here.

Regards, Keith.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rod, know what you mean.

We were back in UK in June/July and caught up with two mates of old.
    One, best man when we were married had not seen since 1986, we had a great time catching up with all the news, reliving some of our days with UCL.
    The other one had not seen since 1980, went to school together and to sea at the same time.

It is good to meet up again with old mates, brings back some great memories of a time long gone.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rod my son Alan lives at Bunya Brisbane, has been there 12 years,are you anywhere near there? Rgds Den

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Denis O'Shea View Post
    Rod my son Alan lives at Bunya Brisbane, has been there 12 years,are you anywhere near there? Rgds Den
    Yes mate, Brissie is just up the road about 2200 kilometers from Melbourne. LOL
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was in Perth Airport in 2005, after a cruise and was waiting for a plane home via Singapore, it was crowded as usual, then a hand clamped on my shoulder,
    "Hello Alehouse", [ my nick name in 1955]
    I turned around it was Joe Finnegan of Liverpool, sailed with him on the EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND after the strike in 1955. 50 Years before.
    What a surprise.
    We had a good chat, he said he was sailing back to Liverpool on a ship, FUNCHAL, in two weeks.
    I said I would see him there,
    In Singapore I said to Anne, "What are we going home for?" she says, not a lot. So I cancelled my flight home and we flew back to Perth, saw Joe and he took us to his travel agent and we booked for a six week voyage to Liverpool
    We had a n excellent voyage home to Liverpool, Back to Singapore, Phuket, in Thailand, Goa,India, Egypt, to Cairo and the Pyramids, Suez Canal, Athens, Lisbon then to Liverpool, One of the best trips we have done.
    Been back a few times to see Joe and still keep in touch
    So after Half a Century what a change of circumstances.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Denis,
    Yes Bunya is not far from me. I'm at The Gap. I note you are a Marconi sahib in St Helens. I was married in Prescot and brought my wife and ready made family out to Brisbane in 1984. Unfortunately she passed away in 1988. I usually get back to the UK once a year. Always get up to Liverpool as my stepson and daughter are there. Anyway my mobile number is 0407676466 and would be pleased to hear from Alan.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rod sorry for the late reply, are you originally from Prescot I was born there but brought up in Whiston I now live in Eccleston which is only 3 miles from there. What was your good wife surname? I was last down to Oz 5 years ago but won't be making another visit because of my mobility problems and my good lady has developed Dementia after a attack of encephalitius. Alan is bringing the family home for Xmas to see his mother. I will pass on your phone number on when I next talk with him. Best Rgds Den