Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Signing on with Merchant Navy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Signing on with Merchant Navy

Can someone please tell me what information/documentation would have needed to be produced for someone to sign up with MN during the war years. Would this information differ from country to country? Dad signed up to British MN in Montreal in 1944 but previously appeared to be in US CoastGuard services.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Signing on with Merchant Navy

HI Hazel.
    If he was in the US Coast Guard Service he would have had the qualifications to join the MN, there may have been a British ship in Canada wanting a crew member, the attrition rate in the MN meant that they would have needed men badly. What position did he have?
    Cheers Des

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, Hazel Stringer thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3... The US coast guard is in no way like the British coast guard, but believe today there are some aspects of same trying to emulate certain duties similar to the US. There are residents of the US on site who will soon correct me if I am wrong.
    The shipping side of the US coast guard is considered the 4 th. Service of the US armed forces.
    Certain other departments of the same service are responsible for the day to day service of checking foreign ships for entry into US ports such as all documentation such as Certs. . Of Registry and safety and load line certs.. etc.
    They have the same authority as the British old BOT.
    Britain todayI believe has now substituted the coast guard service to replace the old BOT, but does not have the overall authority the US coastguard has which is a part of their armed forces.
    In the earlier years you are talking about and today in latter years would be similar , he could sign on a British ship if the master so desired , probably the only worry the master would have was that he held a valid passport of the country he resided in, in effect for immigration authorities of whatever country the ship went to. Otherwisehe. Would be classed as a stateless stowaway and not. Allowed entry, and confined to the vessel, would be like an albatross around the ships neck. Today would be similar and even more so as there is little British shipping around..
    JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th January 2019 at 03:22 AM.

6. Likes Hazel Stringer liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    HI Hazel.
    If he was in the US Coast Guard Service he would have had the qualifications to join the MN, there may have been a British ship in Canada wanting a crew member, the attrition rate in the MN meant that they would have needed men badly. What position did he have?
    Cheers Des
    He was an engineer but was a good shot and happy to turn his hand to most things

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #3... ...... he could sign on a British ship if the master so desired , probably the only worry the master would have was that he held a valid passport of the country .......
    JS
    Would they have carried passports in WW2? That could be a good clue for me as somewhere he changed his name!

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Passports, ID cards for all uk citizens. Very few of the ordinary people would have had passports though. He would certainly of had an ID card though every citizen did, otherwise he would have been unable to get his rations food wise. Apart from my seaman’s ID card still have My shore ID card somewhere. Food was rationed up until the 50s. I think sweets came off the ration in 1952. Cigarettes were bought from under the counter singly would you believe it, being a very early smoker I used to buy them 1 at a time. No such thing as filters either. Another possible way of tracing him would be through his NHI number if he was still alive In the early fifties. If you get to the stage where can identify his Dis. A number , his NHI number will be in there also. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 29th March 2019 at 10:51 AM.

10. Thanks Hazel Stringer thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Passports, ID cards for all uk citizens..... otherwise he would have been unable to get his rations food wise. .... Another possible way of tracing him would be through his NHI number if he was still alive In the early fifties. If you get to the stage where can identify his Dis. A number , his NHI number will be in there also. JS
    Hi JS,

Apologies for the long delay in replying - life came and bit me badly! Many thanks for the information above, I am still curious about ID cards. Dad claimed to have been torpedoed three times. Assuming the chaos that surrounds a sinking ship i am wondering what would have happened had he not had his ID card with him? Would merchant seamen have had dog tags?
    The suggestion about NHI numbers is very much appreciated! I have a nagging feeling that in my paper records somewhere I might just have this and from what you say it may open up another avenue for me.
    Also, I have had a major breakthrough from an entirely different angle and it would appear that Dominic Michael Stringer was not his birth name! It would appear his birth name was Dominic Cunningham Casey! This is a rather complex area still and I am waiting further confirmation!

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Hazel
    Unfortunately JS is no longer on site he had choose to not post any longer!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Hello Hazel
    Unfortunately JS is no longer on site he had choose to not post any longer!
    Cheers
    Hi Doc,

Thanks for letting me know.

Hazel

16. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Out of interest, did you look up;

D C Casey
    United Kingdom, Merchant Navy Seamen Records

Name
    D C Casey
    Event Type
    Military Service
    Event Year Range
    1921-1941
    Event Place
    United Kingdom

?

Keith.

18. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Hazel
    Your story deepens even more with what you post about his Birth name so many twists to the tale.
    As for Dog Tags,no as far as i know not worn by British Merchan Seaman but i could be wrong,as i wartime who knows??
    The NHI Numbers are a good source of as well i guess of tracing People but if they will give any info out ,thats another story
    Anyway the best of Luck in your long standing search.
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast