Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: No health and safety here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: No health and safety here

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    Comparing those sailors running up the rigging to set the sails with today's sailors where firstly before carrying out any task that entails going about a metre or more above the deck, firstly carry out a risk assessment to see if the task is necessary and how to make it safe, then a toolbox meeting to check all involved are aware of the risks involved in the task, safety harnesses tested and fitted, standby man in attendance, etc. Etc. And that is before having to inform and request permission from head office to carry out task. Think I may be overreacting, no, have seen one companies SMS where all the above were required prior to painting the accommodation front.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    John, you forgot the most important part of this, the man with the clipboard and paper recording al you do before, during and after the task.
    The writing up a ten page report on it.

Called occupational health and safety, the occupational bit being about the man with the clipboard.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 1961 I was as drunk as a monkey in Curacao and was drinking with a crowd of Venezuelans.
    I woke up in the morning on a coil of rope, I could feel a motion and hear the creaking of canvas sails opened one eye and nearly fell over the wall, I was at sea on a sailing ship. The crowd laughed at me, Que Pasa, Hombre. they shouted. I realised I had been Shanghaied, so I muttered, Que Pasa Nada.
    We sailed to small ports along the coast of Venezuela and to the Orinoco, Trinidad, Barbados and a few small ports, very interesting voyage, and a good crowd, I could speak good Spanish in those days so it was easy. After six weeks we returned to Curacao. and I said good bye to my ship mates. I had learned how to sail a sailing ship. My ship was still in Curacao having repairs and
    My ship was the Auris, the very first experimental pure Gas Turbine Tanker and she spent over two months in Curacao, so I was lucky.
    Captain Brown was not amused when I first turned up, but when I told him I had been shanghaied on a Sailing ship he was very interested and gave me a beer to tell him the story, He was very interested as he served his Time on the famous Cape Horner, MONKBARNS.
    NO LOGGING

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's true Jim...did notice the lifebuoy painted with PEKING and wow a four mast barque….ships of wood and men of steel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2