Thread: Persian Gulf

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Persian Gulf

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    HI John.
    Did 8months running from Kuwait to the refinery at Aden; a was glad when another BTC tanker re-leaved us, mind you there was a big RAF camp there with a swimming pool so it wasn't all bad.
    Cheers Des
    Hi Des, I was of course only having a joe about the medals , it's just that I never had the wish to see that part of the world only
    as passing through the canal, but always enjoy reading other members experiences of living and working there. I was never interested
    in tankers or liners, only ever wanted to go on on the cargo ships, maybe if I'd been given a tanker as my first ship I may have felt
    differently? but I will always feel very lucky that my first company was the NZSCo and my first trip was to NZ , I really loved that
    country, not just for the great times I had there but the land itself with its natural beauty and the people who were so friendly and
    welcoming, I was very interested in the Maori history and culture, I went out with a lovely Maori girl for a couple of trips and still have
    the greenstone Hei-Tiki she gave me. Just recently watched a great program on BBC four, it was called New Zealand, earths mythical islands.
    My first sighting of NZ was when we arrived in the early hours, we anchored off Rangitoto Island to unload munitions on to barges, when
    I looked out of the porthole Rangitoto Island was being lit up by a beautiful sunrise, then we went to New Plymouth and I saw the snow
    capped Mount Egmont, there was so much to take in, even coming round the coat seemed a bit special with the smell of the vegetation
    in the sea breeze, add that to Curacao and the Panama canal for a sixteen year old from a london estate who had previously not travelled
    further than Liverpool it was all a wondrous experience, NZ is the only country I could have left England for and i did come very close but
    for various reasons it never happened, so Des sand and sandals is not for me but I do envy you for the years you had on the NZ coast,
    I would have loved that. cheers, John F .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, your comments about NZ are so very true.
    We have been there about six times, including getting caught in an earthquake, and find them to be some of the friendliest people any where.
    As you say the country side is beautiful and very different between north and south islands.
    Once you get into the interior there are some truly wonderful places.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John, my last time there was 59 when I was with Shaw Savill then I went to Houlder Bros for the B A run before coming ashore, so only
    know it from the old days which for me will always be the best days, "remembering lost youth maybe ", went into Christchurch once
    whilst at Lyttelton, and was really sad to see the earthquake fatalities and damage 2011, although it's so far away, when these things happen
    it's almost as if it's the next town as you feel we're all the same, daft as it may sound, for me New Zealand will always be "Aotearoa" cheers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John W
    I am amazed that the idiot Trump said that the drones that hit Saudi Arabia were made in Iran, the bombs that are being dropped on the Houti's are all made in either the States or Britain, it's called selling arms to make money; at the expense of mainly children.
    Des

5. Thanks John F Collier thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John F Collier View Post
    Hi John, my last time there was 59 when I was with Shaw Savill then I went to Houlder Bros for the B A run before coming ashore, so only
    know it from the old days which for me will always be the best days, "remembering lost youth maybe ", went into Christchurch once
    whilst at Lyttelton, and was really sad to see the earthquake fatalities and damage 2011, although it's so far away, when these things happen
    it's almost as if it's the next town as you feel we're all the same, daft as it may sound, for me New Zealand will always be "Aotearoa" cheers.
    I have been informed that Lyttleton harbor is now once again operating as normal. Cruise ships will be calling there again this summer.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks John F Collier, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John W
    I am amazed that the idiot Trump said that the drones that hit Saudi Arabia were made in Iran, the bombs that are being dropped on the Houti's are all made in either the States or Britain, it's called selling arms to make money; at the expense of mainly children.
    Des
    According to Saudi Arabia remains of the drones found by the oil rigs show they came from Iaran.
    But no one is game to say who made them in the first place.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes john walker, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A mad Arab Prince has a media personality from your country cut up melted down with acid and disposed of, so what do you do, Offer him military aid.
    Des

11. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A mad Arab Prince has a media personality from your country cut up melted down with acid and disposed of, so what do you do, Offer him military aid.
    Des
    Point here is Des that the truth, something these people do not have word for in their language be they Arabic or Iranian, will never be known.
    So USA will take the side of the one they think will do them the most good.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes John F Collier, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Couldn’t agree more.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Watching the BBC news this morning, there were two items that made me think WTF.
    Firstly, in an effort to boost tourism income, Saudi Arabia will issue visas to a number of countries whose citizens wish to visit Saudi for tourism only and not to make pilgrimage. They are also said to be relaxing the strict dress code for women tourist's so they will not be required to be covered from head to foot. Beyond viewing mile after mile of sand and desert, I have no idea what tourist attractions Saudi has to offer, though I suppose to rival going to a bull fight on your annual jolly to Spain, their tourist board could sell you a ticket to watch one of the many public executions that still occur on a regular basis.
    The second item was regarding an international athletic meeting being held in Doha, another state that has strict dress code for women in public. So how are those female runners who run in tiny shorts and tops going to fare? Run in nun like outfits? Should create difficulty for the high jumpers. All of that in addition to the fact that even nighttime temperature rarely goes below 30 degrees at this time of year and the stadium is open air and marathons starting at midnight, makes me wonder just how much down the Athletic body has received from the Doha government to hold a meeting there. Bit like FIFA decision to hold the football world cup in quatar.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast