Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Persian Gulf

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Persian Gulf

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    Watching the BBC news this morning, there were two items that made me think WTF.........................

Bit like FIFA decision to hold the football world cup in quatar.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    The stadium in Doha has some form of crazy powerful AC system which keeps the stadium and its stands down to a temp of 24C despite it being open air. I shudder to think what their leckie bill will be but I suppose they can afford it.
    I'd imagine tourism in Saudi would be on a similar format to Oman (which is a popular destination for Westerners), i.e. a few crazy sun seekers lying around a pool coupled with a lot of folk interested in seeing some of the historical sites, of which there are quite a few to see if you're a history buff.
    I used to visit Qatar regularly up until a few years ago and it was a reasonably relaxed place for foreign women to visit with no real problems with dress code. The only downside was that there was only about 3 pubs in the entire country, all located in hotels in Doha.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 27th September 2019 at 02:15 PM.

2. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Being a tourist in Saudi would be a No No for me. Last time in there after my leg was crushed I was in a rat and cockroach infested Hospital in Al Khobar.
    No pain killers or anaesthetic, Just" whats the matter for you, you big tough guy American", shouted the Doctor," We take your leg off , no problem."
    I hopped out of there quick on one leg, and the agent got me on a plane that night, to London, and got fixed good there.

In Dubai two of our Engineers had their wives with them, We were in a hotel for a few days waiting for the ship. The wives went to Dubai Market by the Creek, They were attacked and beaten unconscious by a group of women all dressed in fully monte, Just their eyes showing. Their bodies floated down the Creekn and a Rig Boat Captain saw them in the water and rescued them and sent them to hospital. they would have died but for him.
    They and their husbands later flew home and did not join the ship.

In Iran when we were hostage we had to witness the execution of the Iranian shore gang on the jetty. not nice.

4. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the early 50s I had to get a tooth out in Kuwait, was taken in a taxi with a guard to the hospital; one of the most modern I had ever seen, not that the dentist was that good so much pain I nearly bit his finger off.
    I recently found a picture of him.
    Des

dentist.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3