Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Where didn’t you go ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Where didn’t you go ?

Did two ports in Russia in the early /mid 70's. Very strange, armed guard at the bottom of the gangway. Only run ashore possible was to the seaman's mission, taken too and returned by their bus. All had to be back onboard by midnight. A bunch had gone to the mission and on returning the guard was taking so long to check and return everyone's seaman's book that by the time it came to the last guy it had just turned midnight so the guard shut up shop and refused to allow him on board. I was on cargo watch at the time and when I saw what was going on went to go down the gangway to demonstrate with the guard. This did not go well as a surly russian with a loaded gun pointing at you tends to halt you in your tracks so a smart retreat was taken. It was November and bitterly cold so our one guy left stranded ashore had to shelter in an open shelter for a number of hours until a superior officer ashore came to sort it out. This was in Klaipeda or ventspils, can't remember which but both places were bitterly cold and souless.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Went through the Suez many times,around the Cape to Australia,New Zealand and Japan.We did a lot of tramping in the Med. Italy. Spain, Gibraltar.
    My most enjoyable and rememberable time was up to Sweden in the winter, absolutely fantastic !!
    Last edited by Bill Hardy; 28th August 2019 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Went through the canal several times.

The first was as 2nd R.O. on Shaw Savill's Athenic. We visited Pitcairn en route to and from New Zealand. Had to anchor off.

The locals came to us trying to flog fruit and souvenirs. I bought a wooden flying fish. My chief, a long serving member, used to collect various magazines which would be swapped with the senior honcho, a Christian, for fruit.

When we weighed anchor they would make for the shore and ditch all unsold fruit into the sea.

I just tried to upload a hastily taken photo of the flying fish but the system isn't co-operating.

After that I was sole R.O. on the Sungate, chartered to Saguenay. We went through the canal many times during a 14 month trip.

A few places in the Caribbean, then up the St.Lawrence and the Seaway. South, through the canal, up the west coast to vancouver, Kiittimat. Back through the canal etc four or five times. Getting rather boring.

On our return to the U,K, the old man was asked by the Chief Engineer if he could reduce revs so that we would miss the critical April date for tax avoidance. "No" Miserable sod.
    Equal rights for equal responsibilities.
    Equal opportunities for equal abilities.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi David,
    I have been to Pitcairns a few times,
    They are well organised now for cruise ships to call there.
    Cannot go ashore, But they all come out in their boats and set up market stalls on the Lido Deck round the swimming pool. and sell all kinds of souvenirs, Caps, T- Shirts carvings etc. [ a lot made in China,].
    In 2016 50 people lived on the island, this year in February only 38 people, The young go to senior school in New Zealand and decided to stay there afterwards.
    Below,
    Me and JACKIE cHRISTIAN, grt grt grt grt gry granddaughter of Fletcher., and two views of the island. The last one shows the ladder that goes to the top from their boats.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 28th August 2019 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    Did two ports in Russia in the early /mid 70's. Very strange, armed guard at the bottom of the gangway. Only run ashore possible was to the seaman's mission, taken too and returned by their bus. All had to be back onboard by midnight. A bunch had gone to the mission and on returning the guard was taking so long to check and return everyone's seaman's book that by the time it came to the last guy it had just turned midnight so the guard shut up shop and refused to allow him on board. I was on cargo watch at the time and when I saw what was going on went to go down the gangway to demonstrate with the guard. This did not go well as a surly russian with a loaded gun pointing at you tends to halt you in your tracks so a smart retreat was taken. It was November and bitterly cold so our one guy left stranded ashore had to shelter in an open shelter for a number of hours until a superior officer ashore came to sort it out. This was in Klaipeda or ventspils, can't remember which but both places were bitterly cold and souless.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    Had same in Novorossisk in 1980, armed soldier on every mooring rope as well as gangway; also, on sailing everyone had to appear before their officials but as I was turned in they came and looked at me in my bunk to make sure it was me.

6. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Visited Pitcairn Island once, they rowed out in their boats to pick up provisions, and towed timber back. Also visited Tristan da Cunha,(had met the families when they were evacuated off the Island when the volcano had erupted in the 50’s) and then had returned because they couldn’t stand the pace!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Always wanted to visit NZ. Went to many great places and also many s***holes. Really enjoyed the canals; the worst being the Kiel in January. The best was the Welland in the Lakes. Amazing sight being on top of 7 locks looking down from the poop. Also got to transit the canal from Gothenburg to Lake Vanner.

9. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Duke Drennan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stephen Mitchell
    Re: Where didn’t you go ?
    Visited Pitcairn Island once, they rowed out in their boats to pick up provisions, and towed timber back. Also visited Tristan da Cunha,(had met the families when they were evacuated off the Island when the volcano had erupted in the 50’s) and then had returned because they couldn’t stand the pace!

Hi Stephen,.
    I visited Tristan da Cunha in 2009 on a ship from the Antarctica to Cape Town.
    One of our Passengers was a school teacher who taught the refugee children from Tristan in his school in Southampton, then they went back to the Island again. So when we arrived in Tristan all his ex pupils, who were now all adults came on board and they had a big reunion.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having served with Bank Line in 70's and 80's, there wasn't a hell of a lot of places our ship's didn't go to. Toward the end of every run we'd have a competition on guessing where we'd next go to. Could be anywhere between James Watt Dock in Greenock to Valpariso, Chile. Worst was Bandar Shapour in Iran. And that was when the Shah was still there.....10,000 tons of palleted sugar cubes from Valpariso. 3 months there mostly at anchor awaiting a berth. Liked to have gone to Russia. Did go to Sundsval in Sweden where it just went a little dim at midnight then bright daylight again......All in all Bank Line fulfilled all my expectations of life at sea (or more importantly work hard and play hard)...and even met my intended wife in the best port in the world...Liverpool.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LenFriend R858400,
    Hi spent many a 4to8 watch looking out for the beacon fire lit on top of Pitcairn island on a foggy morning you could only see an orange glow.You were not allowed to go ashore, the islanders would come out to the ship on the long boats to collect thier mail and trade and trade fresh fruit and carved flying fish out of local wood,they would always ask for salt when trading with you,Happy days

13. Likes donald w gillies liked this post
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast