Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Where didn’t you go ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Where didn’t you go ?

Probably been to most places that i would have liked to go except for South America. Never particularly wanted to see China or India when you could see many other parts of the world, that for me were more appealing. I definitely saw too much of the gulf when with B.P. and finally Blandford 's. Second thoughts - when on the Trewidden and again up the gulf with all the grog for the Armed Forces bases as cargo it turned into 7 months of hangovers and great hilarious times.
    Back to thread theme and wish i'd visited some Scandinavian countries.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan just for you.The Corinth Canal, did it as a tourist about 20years ago well worth it. The vessel was called the " Santa Maria" rather strange I thought for Greece. The image carved at the west end is said to be either Hercules or Nero, it was Nero who made the first attempt at cutting the canal about 100 years A.D.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it was luck of the draw, if you picked up a regular run boat and were happy, a good life, i was happiest on trampers, it was that mystery and excitement of where you went next, and on most ships there was always someone who had been there before, bloody hell, what we all give to do it all again, i know the world has moved on, and its all gone. All this from one contended old git, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Morrison View Post
    Ivan just for you.The Corinth Canal, did it as a tourist about 20years ago well worth it. The vessel was called the " Santa Maria" rather strange I thought for Greece. The image carved at the west end is said to be either Hercules or Nero, it was Nero who made the first attempt at cutting the canal about 100 years A.D.
    Thanks Bill. guess I'll have to find a narrow alley and a running tap, close my eyes and use my imagination.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    i was happiest on trampers, , kt
    Me too, both from the uncertainty of the port and its attractions, or lack of them, but also the challenge of navigating through waters, channels, straits, islands etc that you had never seen before

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Bill.
    Nice photos, never seen the place before, thanks.
    Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the countries that i would have loved to get to, and did not ,was NZ, i have visited for long periods in the last ten years, but obviously from all the posts you read on NZ in the 50-60s i missed out in my young and virile years lol, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You couldn't be everywhere Keith, After having a taste of the Caribbean Mexican Gulf And the Eastern Seaboard of the U.S.A. Plus a few Canadian ports and South America, Then being locked up for 12 months aboard the M.V.Eucadia, Indo Pakistan war 1971 and spending 4 months on the hook in Aden, My next few years where decided for me T@J Harrisons L,pool I got to just if not all the West Indies I done 3 trips in the Linguist 12 months one voyage took in all the little saint islands and Granada, Mexican gulf, Right up the Mississippi Galveston island Houston far to much to mention but as you say we would all do it all again especially as most of the hotspots in the Caribbean and West Indies where at the time relatively out of reach of many tourists like many other places we all visited. Some ports had there down side I remember returning to the ship in Caracas only to hear a spray of automatic bullets whiz past us and bounce of the quay side. Another day another dollar Regards Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith.
    I got the better end of NZ 6years on the coast in the 50\60s. I think more seamen jumped there than any other country.
    Cheers Des

9. Thanks Keith Tindell thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In my ten years I went to so many places I forget which they were I did miss New Zealand and the west coast of South America (Peru Chili etc,)
    Some lousy places I visited were Tsing Tao N China, 1952 had to have all the injections one could think of including Plague>
    One place we went to was Constanza in Roumania a beautiful place but at the height of the Communist stuff there was nothing to buy Only allowed to take 19 cigarettes ashore. nowhere to get a drink , so we threw the money we had asked for to some people on the sea front. Hade a great time in Buneos Aires we got stuck there for three months loading Hides which stunk like H.... we all had a girl friend and began speaking Spanish quite well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi Keith.
    I got the better end of NZ 6years on the coast in the 50\60s. I think more seamen jumped there than any other country.
    Cheers Des
    Des, there were a good few who jumped here as well.
    On now departed member jumped here in early 60's. Went to one of the motor factories and asked for a job.
    With no such experience he told me that by the end of the next day he was spraying cars with paint.
    Good time back then when work was easy to find.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast