Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooks and their employment.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cooks and their employment.

Yeah Old Son my neighbours complain when I wash mine and hang on the line, say's it blocks the sunlight.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Part of something else, looking at while still possible, it would help to
    hear more of cooks at sea, only going by the term used in this
    thread,seems the norm, cooks at sea. Would chefs only occur
    on liners etc?

Or are chefs a shore /land term?

K.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 12th August 2019 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure about chooks and beef here in Oz but think it is all home grown.
    We do get farmed fish from Thailand and occasionally Vietnam, but our controls on imported food here are so strict I see no reason for not eating them.

We do have ready meals in the freezer section but not to such a great extent.

As to the M&S deal, of course they liked it, with a bottle of wine thrown in why not?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

But are ships cooks a usual term rather the qualified chef's ?

K.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith for your reading

The difference between a cook and a chef is in the roles they play in the kitchen. Now, if you ask a common man on the street what he thinks about the words cook and chef, he may be bemused for a while, but will tell you that they are synonyms to be used interchangeably for a person working in a kitchen, whether he is overlooking the operations or is actively involved in making recipes himself. However, for those in the hotel industry or the field of catering, the two words cook and chef are entirely different from one another, and denote to people in the same profession, though having different roles and responsibilities. This is apart from having differences in educational qualifications. This article tries to highlight the differences between a chef and a cook to remove all doubts from the minds of the readers.

Who is a Chef?

If you have trained under a known chef and have since then moved up ranks, you are considered and labeled as a chef. Chefs themselves vary in their ranks. There are executive chefs, sous chefs, chefs de partie, and so on. A chef has 2-4 year culinary degree. He is a person who has been trained under a seasoned chef with the goals of gaining culinary education, which is equal to a degree. After the completion of the training, the main responsibility of a chef pertains to a supervisory role. He is a person who has the ability to create and implement menus in a restaurant and is considered to be performing the management role in a kitchen.

Who is a Cook?

On the other hand, if you are a person interested in cooking and are passionate about your cooking, you are labeled as a cook when you start your career at a restaurant. There is a school of thought that says that a cook is inferior to a chef. That means they believe a cook is lower ranking than a chef.A cook is a person who prepares food in a setting on a daily basis. He performs various duties in a kitchen when needed. He cleans and washes the kitchen. He makes use of recipes and follows other’s guidelines.In culinary training centers and hotels, a cook is always regarded as below a chef in prestige, pay, and career development. However, there are cases where cooks have risen more than expert chefs. There are cooks who have extraordinary talent and their skills surpass those of their chef counterparts.What is the difference between Cook and Chef?

• Definition of Cook and Chef:

• A cook is someone who cooks food daily as a profession. A cook also can be described as a person still learning how to cook.
    • A chef is a cook with a degree and experience in cooking. A chef has passed the stage of learning that a cook goes through and is more in the mould of a manager.
    • Qualifications:

• A cook is still in the process of obtaining a degree or does not have a degree.
    • A chef has a college degree in culinary arts, and he also has experience.
    • Roles in the kitchen:

• A cook does every job that he is given. Other than cooking the dishes that he is ordered to cook, he even washes and cleans.
    • A chef is the person who supervises the kitchen. He does not wash or clean.
    • Types:

• There are no types of cooks.
    • There are different types of chefs. Executive Chefs plan the menu and direct the kitchen activities. Sous Chef is the second in command of the executive chef. Saucier is a chef who has specialized in making sauces. Pastry Chef makes the baked food products.
    • Salary:

• Usually, a chef gets a higher salary than a cook.
    I think this tells all as far as who is who and is related to any walk of life be it on land or Sea
    Cheers

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having worked as a cook at sea and as a head chef in fine dining ashore. I think that most people can cook but only the educated few can chef. In kitchen French cook is a coq and chef is a chief.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed as COOK for a week after our Cook was killed in the Galley, so Am I a Chef???
    the crowd didn't call me that.
    an old saying,
    "Who called the Cook a `Thingy``
    Who said the `Thingy` could cook"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did hear, i don't know how true, that on the big container ships, where very few crew and they don't meet often, that they don't have a cook on board, but everything is micro wave ready meals, sounds pretty boring life if true. kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The reply by Vernon is very good and explains it all in detail.
    However the term 'Chef' has now become a generic term for any one who cooks.
    It is incorrect to use the term in this manner.

There is now the position of Executive Chef in some establishments and on most cruise ships.
    This position is of a person who no longer cooks but has overall charge of the cooking where there are more than one kitchen or galley to be supervised.
    They are responsible for the day to day planning of menus, staff levels and overall ordering of stores, the head chef will report to him.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 13th August 2019 at 12:10 PM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When sailing the West African ports and also my 1st trip to sea on BP tanker there was always salt tablets on the tables!!...... Rgds Den

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast