Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: This supposed to be the future??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default This supposed to be the future??

This is on the news this morning, no more seamen jobs ?, but when you look at the AIS system worldwide the sea is still a very busy place, kt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48871452
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: This supposed to be the future??

Don't think we will have to worry too much Keith,that to me is just s Pipe dream now,and would take many many Years to develop into something as large as all the Shipping that goes on !
    So rest easy mate LOL
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith, i saw the same article this morning. These technologies make many employment positions obsolete.
    I honestly don't know where this planet is heading and with ever increasing world population and jobs for them being taken over by robotics in every sphere that the big business "globalists" can imagine.
    Do these so called managers, bosses, owners and corporations ever worry about how future generations can survive without an income or employment.
    Glad to get that off my chest!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Personally I think anyone with a bit of imagination would have seen this coming a long time ago, the car makers have used
    robotic machinery on the assembly lines for so many years, now it is also being used in surgery. How many remember the
    Star Wars and Terminator films from the 70s and 80s, lots of robotic artificial intelligence there, in the early 80s I built the
    radio controlled planes that me and my son flew at our R/C flying club, my brother in law took me to a R/C flying show at
    Hendon in 1949 and I was hooked, Drones are not that new, the've just been developed and the development will continue.
    Most inventions originally start out with good intentions e.g Gunpowder was invented in the 9th century in China, the
    Taoist Monks developed it for medicinal purposes, then it's explosive powers was discovered {probably accidently} Gunpowder
    found its way into Europe and the rest is history, there are many other inventions that went the same way. I believe that
    Humans will eventually destroy Earth and some will move on to another planet, where the whole process will start over again.
    Mans inventive mind eh, to think it all started with the "Humble Wheel" , Just my take on it, cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This has been talked about many times over the past 20 or 30 years. Nobody in their right mind including the insurance companies would let a car go very often worth tens of millions of pounds go unmanned anywhere

But I have seen many a cross channel ferry Cross without humans on board they used to call it the Portsmouth to Cherbourg booze cruise £1 a trip for the little hooligans very few humans ever went on them
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Don't think we will have to worry too much Keith,that to me is just s Pipe dream now,and would take many many Years to develop into something as large as all the Shipping that goes on !
    So rest easy mate LOL
    Cheers
    According to latest IMO figures there (at this time) are over 59,000 vessels trading over the world's oceans, employing over 1.5 million seafarers (British contribution less than 30,000 personnel), they're going to have to make an awful lot of automated vessels

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember in the seventies there was talks of building ships with only two people onboard, The Captain and the Chief Engineer. Idea was as she approached port, a crew would be sent out to join the ship.
    Never happened.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When you consider that some of these massive container ships have got a crew of 12 total I believe in my own heart that that is totally dangerous. I like to think two men on the bridge at all times and the catering done without having to do self catering in a microwave. Glad I'm too old
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    I remember in the seventies there was talks of building ships with only two people onboard, The Captain and the Chief Engineer. Idea was as she approached port, a crew would be sent out to join the ship.
    Never happened.
    Vic
    Thought up by people with no idea at all.
    They totally forget the virtually continuous necessity for maintenance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All.
    Picture this, a totally unmanned container ship hits a hurricane in the South Atlantic; some of the containers break loose, another scenario
    A cargo boat hits the same storm deck cargo breaks loose, what do they do, fly a crew out by helicopter to lash things down? Good ideas may work in a small area like the channel, but don't necessarily always work out in a large area.
    Des

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast