Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: This supposed to be the future??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: This supposed to be the future??

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Agree there Norm, on sale now is small robotic hoovers, you switch them on when going to bed, and they trundle round all night cleaning the room, when finished, they rehouse themselves and recharge, i kid you not, available on line, kt
    Yep, they been around for years, as have robotic lawn mowers which were a big seller.
    Check this out before you buy the vacuum cleaner though, especially if you own a dog. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...eaner+dog+poop

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some container ships run with as few as eight crew on some runs.

But there are now automatic cranes loading and unloading these ships.
    Here in Melbourne we have a new dock with six such cranes, all controlled from a screen in Cambodia as the wages there are so much lower.
    My neighbor works on the dock as tells me one of the companies there is reducing their work force by some 200 positions.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Thanks Keith Tindell, Kenneth Kenny thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wife has had a big robotic lawn mower for years, and it doesn't use petrol, she just feeds me.
    Cheers Des.
    Hi John.
    I hope your mate doesn't complain too much, gets rid of unions and his job at the same time, that's progress.
    cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    My wife has had a big robotic lawn mower for years, and it doesn't use petrol, she just feeds me.
    Cheers Des.
    Hi John.
    I hope your mate doesn't complain too much, gets rid of unions and his job at the same time, that's progress.
    cheers Des

Sadly Des that is the truth.
    Called progress, but at times one has to wonder if it is or is it just greed as we know the shipping companies were, and no doubt still are, some of the greediest around.
    He is still Ok just now as it appears the company will get enough volunteers to leave, mainly the 55 plus age group who have done some service.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting article in D.M. this week, a scientist predicates Robots or Cyborgs as he calls them will takeover and o the menial task within the next 50 year or so.
    The Cyborgs will have artifical intelligence or AI.
    A company recently developed two Robots with AI, they performed their designated tasks, but they also developed their own language, they wereshutdown.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    I recently read that Gina Reinhardt had reached $50 billion, Twiggy Forrest $5billion plus and various other iron ore and coal exporters many more Billions, yet the shipping Companies they own sacked their seamen as they couldn't afford to pay them.
    As you say Greed.
    Des

9. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi John.
    I recently read that Gina Reinhardt had reached $50 billion, Twiggy Forrest $5billion plus and various other iron ore and coal exporters many more Billions, yet the shipping Companies they own sacked their seamen as they couldn't afford to pay them.
    As you say Greed.
    Des

Yes Des, it is an odd world now.
    Forrest by the way does a lot for the local community and is well liked for it.
    But the shipping companies are for some reason a law unto them selves and no one can explain why.
    I am of the opinion that though owned by the various miners they have to run as separate companies and make their own profits.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 27th July 2019 at 06:26 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have followed the Artificial Intelligence debate with interest and it is a wonderful idea in reducing manual tasks. It doesn't virtually mean that many manual laborers have been laid off and I'm not required . in the UK because of political arguments many of the agricultural machinery manufacturers are looking at automatic fruit picking and you're not far off machines record identify ripe fruit pick it and pack it. These machines are self teaching as they they work they start to improve their own performance. The thing is though with them they are all in a controlled environment. Working in a polytunnel or a factory. When you take take 250000 oil put it in a tin box and set it loose us under conditions that can vary from a mirror surface c to a raging hurricane and then throw random semi submersed containers fishing nets and floating debris into the mix I believe that as much as they shipping companies word screw their crews into the ground I think you will find that Lloyds of London will give them such a premium to run unmanned ships that the crew will be a cheaper option
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

12. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3