Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: This supposed to be the future??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: This supposed to be the future??

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    When you consider that some of these massive container ships have got a crew of 12 total I believe in my own heart that that is totally dangerous. I like to think two men on the bridge at all times and the catering done without having to do self catering in a microwave. Glad I'm too old
    Some where on here I think I posted once before, I lightened a Kuwaiti oil tanker with only 18 crew, they could not muster fore and aft mooring parties, had to do fore end first then run (some of them anyway) down aft.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When you consider that really safely to carry out emergency duties and everything else I would suggest you need for deck officers and for engineer officers at least six deckhands had at least two in the catering department I think 18 men should be the minimum crew and I would wonder if you had a fire at sea if 18 men could safely navigate the ship and fight the fire at the same time. I've heard all these wonderful theories before hello not enamoured by any of them
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess that most of us will be pushing up daisies long before that scenario becomes the norm. Considering the average life of a ship is 25-30 years and shipyards are churning out "normal" ships that require some personnel to operate them and to date I have only seen two experimental autonomous ships, think the guy who wrote that article has rose tinted glasses on, or is a politician and we all know they always speak the truth, don't we.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi All.
    Picture this, a totally unmanned container ship hits a hurricane in the South Atlantic; some of the containers break loose, another scenario
    A cargo boat hits the same storm deck cargo breaks loose, what do they do, fly a crew out by helicopter to lash things down? Good ideas may work in a small area like the channel, but don't necessarily always work out in a large area.
    Des
    I think the people who think up these schemes only see it all on paper or in theory and most likely have never actually experienced the power
    that mother nature can whip up in the seas, nothing is infallible, look at the cockpit computer problems Boing has experienced recently, if it
    had happened on an unmanned flight it would have been a disaster, maybe they'll get there one day but not for a long time yet.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only seamans jobs available these days are to those who are prepared to work for a pittance.

6. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Although I 'swallowed the anchor' (because I saw the writing on the bulkhead) 26 years before it finally happened, technology has already erased my 'profession', Radio Officer (or if you prefer 'dot dash mechanic' or 'sparks')

8. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As the item says, an absolute gift for pirates, i think box boats already are pushing the limits with crew. i have heard, don't know if true, that *tie up* and let go crews have to join the ship outside harbour, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith
    We started to do that in the 70s and 80s on our tankers,
    reduced crews on the ocean passage from the Gulf round the Cape and pick up extra men, Mates and ABs at Las Palmas for the passage through the Channel to the discharge port, discharge, then take it back to Las Palmas and fly off to join another inward bound tanker.
    cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith ... The way the technology is taking over our lives ( some good some bad ) it will soon be doing the worse onerous chore that man & woman has to do for themselves every day or two ... then they will come up with the technology to not have to wash our own hands after that onerous chore ... you all must get my drift , I am sure

12. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree there Norm, on sale now is small robotic hoovers, you switch them on when going to bed, and they trundle round all night cleaning the room, when finished, they rehouse themselves and recharge, i kid you not, available on line, kt
    R689823

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast