Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Food at meal times

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Food at meal times

Serving on the Clan Ranald we did not have the traditional Indian curry offerings, more your traditional British fayre.
    The Cook s were Zulu and usually very good except on the South African Coast, when they were chasing nookie and drunk out f their minds.
    A crew change saw us with a chef from a passenger ship which travelled from S.A. to Indonesia etc.
    He tried to get our Chief Steward interested in Indonesian food, Nazi Goring and Bhami Goring, Chief Steward was having none of it.
    Chef decide to provide an Indonesian meal as a one off for the Steward, who was delighted and we ended u with regular Indonesian fayre, which is very good.
    For those that are interested both meals are available from Lidl in their chilled food section. Both are excellent value and delicious.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Food at meal times

I spent a lot of time in the Spice Islands of Indonesia, the food was excellent.
    Holland America also have Javanese in the Catering department, so I always have it. Love Bami Goreng.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the final trip of the Orontes from Oz back to the U.K. We took onboard 300 bloods at Bombay, and three Indian curry chefs, as a winger, it was my job to get as many curries for my mates, which I did at least three a day, it was easy, order five curries, then go back order three more which went straight in my heated dumb waiter, sadly it all finished in Marseille, as we hit the quay with a big thump, and got holed in our stern, the bloods were all sent to the U.K. over land with their chefs,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is an every day menu from when I was on the City of York in 1967. We ate with the passengers on these ships. They had
    Indian crew and British officers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Over the last month our club has changed the chefs to Indian, can't say we have enjoyed the food, uncooked veg, Cottage pie made with beef
    no curry's {I don't like them anyway] but generally very bland food, their prices are the highest in Town, which being a club shouldn't be, it's why the place is empty most days. So we have been going to Chinese restaurants of which there are a large number down here as Cooma is a tourist town, next we intend having Thai which by all accounts has great food, something I haven't had since the 60s in the Spice Islands, mind you none can compare with my wife's cooking .
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    , Nazi Goring
    Don't think there would have been much of an appetite for that just after the war Vic

Agree Lidl's curries and Indonesian food very good

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin McClelland View Post
    Here is an every day menu from when I was on the City of York in 1967. We ate with the passengers on these ships. They had
    Indian crew and British officers.
    As apprentices (gannets according to all the others) we would go through the card top to bottom, I think I would still being working my way thro that lot!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sailed with Indian crews a few times with B.P. Curry galore so many varieties, all absolutely delicious. Saying was "used to draw sweat on the third fork". Had one every day. Fish dishes were also superb. Always enjoyed their dishes alas the weight would go up even with "field day working". Still used to be nice to get home and "enjoy beans on toast" though.
    R 800658 Kn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have posted before, i think it was Ellerman Papayani boats, used to serve curry for breakfast, as a choice , of course there was the cereal, but had to water down connie, onny, and also the full English.I love curry, but gave it a miss for breakfast !!, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One surprise for me was the first time I saw Kippers at breakfast time, but I still wolfed them down, had a stomach like a dustbin in those days,
    at home I'd only ever known kippers as a teatime meal also for us at home, the midday meal was dinner and the evening meal was tea and all
    my mates knew the same, cheers

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast