Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Food at meal times

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Food at meal times

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Sometime ago my wife sneaked a tiny bit of curry into the dinner, I tasted it right away, so now she puts my dinner out then adds a little curry to her own. Don't know what it is but I must be the only ex seaman who hates the taste of curry, maybe the smell of it when I was seasick put me off for life.
    Cheers Des
    My very last job was on a supply ship in the Gulf. Every morning at 6.30 the cook (Indonesian) would start to prepare the daily curry base. This was basically large amounts of ginger and garlic, incinerated in smoking hot oil. The flash off emitted was extracted from galley and straight into the aircon intake, and round the accommodation in seconds.
    Never been known to vacate my bunk so quickly and enough to turn anyones stomach.
    They tasted ok by lunchtime though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't mind the smell of curry going round the air-conditioning it was a rare event when I was with Gulf Oil to get a decent curry but we had somebody who used to smoke weed quite heavily and that you've done really recirculate around the air conditioning. No high point for me the smell makes me sick
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Quartermaine View Post
    And Tubby Isaac's jellied eels in Petticoat Lane (Middlesex Street) and as my Cockney Dad used to say about Billingsgate fish market circa pre WW1, "Here Yar Lidy, a lovely cod's head wif a cuppla eyes to see you frew the week."
    Richard
    I went with dad to Petticoat Lane about three times a year from 1948 to 1950, have a few memories from there, that was where I first saw
    a Pearly King and Queen and Chelsea pensioners, I remember seeing a pickpocket being nabbed by a copper and seeing some stall holders
    chasing a spiv with his suitcase, so many memories of those days, there was a costermongers with green grocery stalls selling animals, I
    got a tortoise there, I went back for a look around in 1975 but the magic had gone, I suppose kids see things differently?.
    Back to food, anyone remember Risoles {sausage meat and onion} Vienna steak, powdered eggs, and many here must remember sitting
    on a bench at a long bare wood table eating the exotic delights served up at the Vindi and especially the mysterious Sea Pie?? , cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My dad used to talk about Pease Pudding and Faggots. I'm sure my aunt in London would use powdered eggs when I stayed with her when I first went there in 1947. Rationing was still on and later on I would bring things back from trips to NZ. I think I have mentioned some time ago the time we arrived in Auckland in the middle of the National dock strike in 1951. We were three weeks at anchor out in Hauraki Gulf when the troops were brought in to get things moving. As we discharged our cargo and loaded frozen lamb from Southern NZ ports for Britain we were offered jobs at night and reckoned that was most important. from the last of the load each one of us were offered a whole lamb carcass. Arriving in London I had it cut into four and I put it in my big canvas carry bag and walked through the customs gate.
    My aunt nearly fainted when I opened the bag, took my soppy clothes of the top but I was the flavour of the month among the family.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bet you was Richard, not sure of the year but maybe 50/51 when the local Butchers shop window had trays of Whale meat and very little else,
    so I think Auntie would have been over the moon. I remember how surprised and delighted I was when I saw the food being dished up at meal
    times on my first ship but shocked at the waste aas at home it was always drummed into us "Waste not,Want not", at home we had pease pudding
    with boiled bacon carrots peas and spuds I used to love it. cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Quartermaine View Post
    My dad used to talk about Pease Pudding and Faggots.
    My aunt nearly fainted when I opened the bag, took my soppy clothes of the top but I was the flavour of the month among the family.
    Richard
    Pease pudding still universally available here, faggots also, depending on butcher
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 20th July 2019 at 06:01 AM.

7. Thanks Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Likes Richard Quartermaine liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

MMmmm Pease Pudding.
    Available in tins now so a great improvement on soaking split Peas overnight and then boiling them in a bag for hours on end.
    Dash of pepper and some stock and a knob of butter. Fantastic with boiled ham or bacon.
    Regards
    Brenda

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I always make my own faggotts I don't like the orange goo but they put on Mrs brains frozen faggotts. And our local butchers shop I think he meant is everything up that left on a Saturday and makes his faggotts on a Monday
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another meat that i had as a kid in the years during and after the war, was hearts, never seen them for sale since, kt
    R689823

12. Likes Richard Quartermaine, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Another meat that i had as a kid in the years during and after the war, was hearts, never seen them for sale since, kt
    Makro had lambs hearts for sale last week and another butcher near Durham has ox hearts regularly, along with pigs, lambs and calf livers, kidneys and tripe, pigs trotters, home made pease pudding and saveloys.
    Best of all, it is cheap as demand is not great.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    I always make my own faggotts I don't like the orange goo but they put on Mrs brains frozen faggotts. And our local butchers shop I think he meant is everything up that left on a Saturday and makes his faggotts on a Monday
    Correct, all the scraps and trimmings go in there, and into sausages. My old man was serving his time as a butcher before the war and he told me all the tricks. Still tastes good though ha ha,

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast