Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Grace 1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Grace 1

Originally Posted by Steve Singleton
    Never did sail on big tankers...but I knew of these wheelings and dealings whilst such ships were at sea.... No wonder I was never attracted to such vessels!
    My principal reason for going to sea was to see the world...not be a pawn in some rich gits gambling on making more money

I sailed on tankers after I got married to make more money than I did on cargo ships , in port spending all the time.
    Best move I ever made.

When I retired the GOLDEN HANDSHAKE was fantastic, complete with a Company Pension for life non contributory, and with the Finest Financial Advisers in the world,
    I retired 24 years ago, now own two houses, one on the coast sea view, I have been cruising round the world for two to three month cruises, not one week ones, every year ,and seen more of the world than I did in cargo ships. for 24 years, and I still have more money than I started with. I have just been around the world on a three month cruise and have already booked a two month cruise for March.
    So I just love those Rich Gits who gamble in the oil industry. I have shares in two Major Oil Companies, one company I worked for was selling us shares at two for the price of one. That was fantastic,
    They looked after their employees.
    You are what you want to be. If you want to be a "Rich Git" no problem , you can be one if your try.

Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 3rd August 2019 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Originally Posted by Steve Singleton
    Never did sail on big tankers...but I knew of these wheelings and dealings whilst such ships were at sea.... No wonder I was never attracted to such vessels!
    My principal reason for going to sea was to see the world...not be a pawn in some rich gits gambling on making more money

I sailed on tankers after I got married to make more money than I did on cargo ships , in port spending all the time.
    Best move I ever made.

When I retired the GOLDEN HANDSHAKE was fantastic, complete with a Company Pension for life non contributory, and with the Finest Financial Advisers in the world,
    I retired 24 years ago, now own two houses, one on the coast sea view, I have been cruising round the world for two to three month cruises, not one week ones, every year ,and seen more of the world than I did in cargo ships. for 24 years, and I still have more money than I started with. I have just been around the world on a three month cruise and have already booked a two month cruise for March.
    So I just love those Rich Gits who gamble in the oil industry.
    You are what you want to be.

Brian
    Alas Brian no oil company is anywhere near as generous as that anymore. Even with the big names it's usually foreign employment contracts with some PO Box in Singapore or Bermuda, no job security, no pension, no sick pay (off on the sick then no wages), no share schemes like of old and no redundancy payments at all - you're simply told "no longer required" and that's it contract ended.
    Couple all that with time onboard your average tanker these days being little more than an "existence" of unbelievable micromanagement, beauracracy and constant audits/inspections and it's a very miserable game today compared to the past.
    I really feel for the youngsters out there today as they've no idea what they've missed or dare I say what our generation has caused to be passed on to them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess you are right in todays employment.

I was with ESSO and they were excellent until they got out of ship owning , but they really looked after us, it was unbelievable.
    A neighbour was a Master with BP, Then he got a letter saying , if you want a job, contact an agency in Hong Kong, Not one penny severance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    I guess you are right in todays employment.

I was with ESSO and they were excellent until they got out of ship owning , but they really looked after us, it was unbelievable.
    A neighbour was a Master with BP, Then he got a letter saying , if you want a job, contact an agency in Hong Kong, Not one penny severance.
    Mobil were quite possibly the last of the more benevolent tanker companies, certainly when they cleared out the last of their Brits in 2002 they received some very generous redundancy provision.

5. Thanks Captain Kong, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its breaking news at the moment, but looks like the Iranians have seized another tanker in the straits, kt
    R689823

7. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was allegedly smuggling fuel, carrying 700,000 litres and 7 crew.
    Vic

9. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well it is now so obvious as to why Trump broke the agreement with Iran, it was the first of his moves, the next was breaking the one with Russia which gives the US a clearance to start making bigger and faster atomic rockets, by keeping up his trade war on Iran; he is forcing them to retaliate by manufacturing weapons grade cobalt, if Trump attacks Iran, Russia can't just stand by as they could be next, a very dangerous situation. And now more so because the USA is down here in Aus, and I believe they want to put nuclear rockets in the Northern Territory.
    Des

11. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des, fear not the gov has said no to the request for weapons of USA here in Oz.

But the gov has agreed to give some support to USA in guarding the straits so no more ships will be hijacked.

As to Russia and USA, all smoke and mirrors, bot know the capability of the other and both know that there is no future in war with each other.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des,the Russians broke the treaty by deploying missiles that break the treaty.
    Russia has been steadily building up its forces and modernising after years of neglect.
    They now have supper Wiley diesel subs that are nigh on impossible to detect.

They have huge subs that Carry all sorts of weapons.
    No your man Putin is the danger.
    Vic

- - - Updated - - -

Des,the Russians broke the treaty by deploying missiles that break the treaty.
    Russia has been steadily building up its forces and modernising after years of neglect.
    They now have supper Wiley diesel subs that are nigh on impossible to detect.

They have huge subs that Carry all sorts of weapons.
    No your man Putin is the danger.
    Vic

15. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well the response from the EU is pretty much as expected in guarding the ships in the Gulf, not one EU country has taken part, just the UK and USA, surely there must be EU ships transiting the Gulf ?, but they will not get involved, kt
    R689823

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast