Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Grace 1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Grace 1

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    Bit more on this with the possibility of retaliation against a British flagged tanker.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    https://gcaptain.com/bp-tanker-shelt...n-retaliation/
    Interestingly John flagged with the red duster a British outfit yet registered in Panama ?????
    {terry scouse}

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Ken Norton liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    Interestingly John flagged with the red duster a British outfit yet registered in Panama ?????
    And Russian interests in the ownership!!

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by corrientes View Post
    And Russian interests in the ownership!!
    Therefore let the Russians protect her
    {terry scouse}

6. Thanks Steve Singleton, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Problem is Terry, the Ruskies would be quite happy for the oil to go to Syria. Does anyone know if she is too big to transit Suez ??, because her track shows she went the long way round via the Cape, kt
    R689823

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems a bit strange , Syria importing oil from Iran, I used to load oil in Syria, for export.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Seems a bit strange , Syria importing oil from Iran, I used to load oil in Syria, for export.
    Brian
    Was that at Banias? At an SBM, believe it was the tail end of a pipeline from Iraq (or Iran) built to bypass the Suez and the need to load in the Gulf ports.
    Rgds
    J.A.

12. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John

Now I remember,
    Yes it was Banias, and we loaded Kirkuk Crude, I think Kirkuk is in Iraq.
    This was in 1961 when I was on the KENT, of Federal/NZSC
    We would load part cargo in the Gulf and top up at the SBM in Banias, due to the ship being too big for the Canal with a full load.
    only 58 years ago so nearly forgot.
    Cheers
    Brian

14. Thanks Steve Singleton, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Probably one of those circumstances where-in an embargoed cargo leaves Iran with no set destination and sails south for orders in the hope that some country en-route will buy it, but apparently no takers, as most countries en-route are in one way or another dependent on US Aid, and it would be foolish to kill the golden goose. Sending it via Suez in the first instance would be probably more expensive than slow steaming round the Cape and the marketing possibilities less. The cargo has probably changed ownership a few times whilst vessel on passage, and probably bought by Syria through another country such as Russia, which is probably why we are not hearing much from Russia at this time. Embargoes are made to be broken and there is someone always willing to do it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At times when I was with ESSO on their VLCCs, in the 70s, we left the Gulf and picked up the Agulhas Current, stop engines, then drift slowly southwards, along with several other tankers, no destination, the cargo, around three million barrels, was on the New York Stock Exchange. and it would change hands many times as we would receive many destinations.
    sail around the Cape and stop engines again and drift northwards on the Benguela Current before finally getting a definite destination.
    The price of oil was always fluctuating, so if someone bought three million barrels one day and it increases by two dollars a barrel, sell, a profit of six million Dollars, easy money.
    So the Grace 1 could have done that.

Patagual....just inland from Coronel, Chile.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At times when I was with ESSO on their VLCCs, in the 70s, we left the Gulf and picked up the Agulhas Current, stop engines, then drift slowly southwards, along with several other tankers, no destination, the cargo, around three million barrels, was on the New York Stock Exchange. and it would change hands many times as we would receive many destinations.
    sail around the Cape and stop engines again and drift northwards on the Benguela Current before finally getting a definite destination.
    The price of oil was always fluctuating, so if someone bought three million barrels one day and it increases by two dollars a barrel, sell, a profit of six million Dollars, easy money.
    So the Grace 1 could have done that.
    Never did sail on big tankers...but I knew of these wheelings and dealings whilst such ships were at sea.... No wonder I was never attracted to such vessels!
    My principal reason for going to sea was to see the world...not be a pawn in some rich gits gambling on making more money.

As regards the "Grace 1" and the current events.....(I am trying to link with the newsletter item 31.07.19.) well, sure enough, she is Panamanian, not Iranian, at least "was" according to Ship Spotting. I gather ships can swop and change registry even whilst at sea....(No doubt in order to make the fast buck referred to above).... But as I understand the situation, it was learned that the cargo was destined for Syria in defiance of International Sanctions, including those imposed by the EU:
    So, it all seems rather petty that Spain should now complain of the seizure in Gibraltar, whilst such sanctions were merely being complied with by Gibraltar/UK. (A wholly different argument of course.)

The seizure of the Stena vessel in retaliation, because it carries a British Flag as an argument is again, a non-starter, surely?
    The vessel is neither owned nor operated by a British company and does not even carry any British crew.

No doubt, only Washington is applauding the actions of the British Government.

As usual, as others have noted, Britain will be stabbed in the back again by its so-called "European Partners":
    By Spain.. over the Gibraltar Question.... and by France because, well..... because it is France.
    (working behind the scenes to supply updated Excocets to Iran....?)
    And Germany will be silent. For now.
    Then they wonder how "Brexit" came about!

I don't really visit this site to vent my political opinions....but others have touched on the implications involved in this standoff and the effect on the crews of both merchant ships....
    It is over and above what most people in civilian life have to deal with.
    And, largely, that has been the case for hundreds of years: The innocent seafarer being caught up in political shenanigans.

Let us all hope that the crews involved are treated humanely and allowed to live their lives in peace.
    Last edited by Steve Singleton; 1st August 2019 at 12:38 AM.

18. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast