Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Merchant Navy Records - Cecil Jones

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Merchant Navy Records - Cecil Jones

Hello all,

My dad, Cecil Jones was RNVR from around 1940 and I have records of the ships he served on. Could anybody please direct me to where I can search for his Merchant Navy records?

Also, if these records exist, what are they likely to show?

Thank you in advance

Geraint Jones (son)

2. Thanks Captain Kong, Mike Hall, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Merchant Navy Records - Cecil Jones

Geraint, Hi m8 we would need a bit more info...………………….. Discharge book number/ What years are we talking/ And any other info you can reveal good luck m8 Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Esp: date and place of birth.

Regards Keith.

5. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes Geraint jones liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not able to look at this time. I am still in bed recovering will keep in mind and post as soon as i can
    My Desktop is also down
    Keep watching this thread
    Cheers
    Last edited by Mike Hall; 2nd July 2019 at 02:50 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Doc, good to see you still keeping a weather eye out for us, take care. Rgds Den

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Geraint.
    If you have your dad's Discharge book please list the names of all the ships he was on, there maybe someone on site or who might know someone that sailed with him.
    Cheers Des

9. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Geraint jones liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...qtgvZr4cZ0Lqpe

This link will send you to the national archives where you might mind his discharge book etc details, some records are held with the London Met library and dependant upon his rank, some are held in Newfoundland, Canada. The UK kept every 5th ie, 1940,1945,1950,1955 etc log books. Again dependent upon shipping Co, try going onto that historical shipping crews chat line and ask them.
    Peter Bolton

11. Likes Doc Vernon, Geraint jones liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Depending on what year he left the MN will determine which files his records are held in:

1913 to 1940 Fourth Register of Merchant Seaman's service.

These records are available at the National Archives at Kew and are held on Microfiche in the following classifications BT 348: Register of Seamen, Central Index, Numerical Series (CR 2), BT 349: Register of Seamen, Central Index, Alphabetical Series (CR 1) and BT 350: Register of Seamen, Special Index, Alphabetical Series (CR 10). These three classes were combined in one classification namely BT 364 Register of Seaman, Combined Numerical Index (CR1, CR 2 & CR 10) and were made up by extracting combinations of cards from the other three classes.

The original records for the above named classifications are now held at the following address: Southampton Archives, Southampton City Council, South Block, Civic Centre, Southampton, S014 7LY. This office is open Tuesdays to Fridays 9.30am to 4.30pm, with one late evening opening each month. There is no charge for a personal visit. Alternatively enquiries for information from the records may be made by post, e-mail or fax but there will be a charge for this.

These records from the Fourth Register are now also available from "Find my past" website if they have survived.

1941 to 1972 Fifth Register of Merchant Seaman's Service

These records are held at the National Archives in classification BT 382. The Fifth Register of Seaman’s Service 1941 to 1972.

Records of individual Merchant Seamen's sea service details are held in alphabetical surname order. These details include the following information: Name of seaman, Date and place of birth, Discharge (Seaman’s) book number, Rank, Details of the ships on which he served. These include:

Name of ship and official number, date of engagement (Joining ship), Date of discharge (Leaving ship), whether ship was a foreign going of home trade vessel, and records in some cases National Insurance contributions. Details shown in these records are similar to those contained in an individual seaman's discharge book.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Geraint jones View Post
    Hello all,

My dad, Cecil Jones was RNVR from around 1940 and I have records of the ships he served on. Could anybody please direct me to where I can search for his Merchant Navy records?

Also, if these records exist, what are they likely to show?

Thank you in advance

Geraint Jones (son)

So much help from you all on here, thank you so much for spending the time to reply. Here is the information I received in the form of a letter in 1994 when I asked for any records.

The letter came from the ministry of defence based in Portsmouth from records unearthed in Hayes, Middlesex.

My dad, Cecil Jones was born on the 12th July, 1918 Llandeiniolen, Caernarfon, died 18th July, 1986 in Boddelwyddan.

Service: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, previously Merchant Navy, joined sometime 1937 I think but no records.

Ranks and Seniority Dates : 4/12/1939 Temporary Acting Sub Lieutenant (Engineer)

03/07/1946 Released from RNVR Class A, T124X agreement

Appointments

27/04/1940 HMS Eaglet for HMS EVADNE as 4th Engineer

11/10/1940 HMS CHESHIRE

27/05/1943 HMS MERSEY

03/08/1943 HMS SPARTIATE additional for HMS NAIRANA

27/03/1944 HMS MERSEY

07/09/1944 HMS ACTIVITY

05/04/1946 HMS MERSEY for dispersal

That’s it folks. I will follow up on all the suggested sources and avenues

Thanks again!

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Red Lead Ted, William J Plank liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSea View Post
    Depending on what year he left the MN will determine which files his records are held in:

Name of ship and official number, date of engagement (Joining ship), Date of discharge (Leaving ship), whether ship was a foreign going of home trade vessel, and records in some cases National Insurance contributions. Details shown in these records are similar to those contained in an individual seaman's discharge book.
    Is it possible to obtain a Postal or email address for me to contact the U.K National Archives for information from the Fifth Register of Merchant Seamans Service, please ? I don't have my Discharge Book as I 'jumped ship' in Australia 1963, and as I'm in my 80's now my daughters and grandchildren would like to know the ships I sailed on. I can still remember the ships and the names but a bit foggy about the dates I was on them !! Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you kindly.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 19th July 2019 at 10:01 PM.

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Terry Sullivan liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast