Thread: On behalf of Ray Arnold

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default On behalf of Ray Arnold

Ray Arnold

""
    I am just back from a 6-week cruise from Singapore to Tilbury.
    Whilst I was away, I learned that there were three collisions / accidents involving other cruise ships.
    I just wonder if any of those were related to 'not using a tug'.

On my cruise this time, as I have often noticed on previous cruises, as soon as we got to a port, one or two tugs soon appeared and hung about, trying to look powerful and impressive, and hoping to help either tow the cruise ship to a quayside, and/or then push it sideways against the quay.

Because of meal times, I probably didn't see every single docking / mooring operation, but I saw most of them. Only once, when there was a very strong off-quay wind, did the local pilot & our ship's skipper agree that a tug should be used to push our ship against the quay, whilst the many mooring ropes were secured. Clearly in all these ports, the local on-board pilot will be in radio contact with the tug skippers.

Our particular cruise ship had stern thrusters as well as two bow thrusters, and the ship could, using those, go quite quickly absolutely sideways with virtually no forward or stern movement. So it probably had less need of assistance from tugs than many other vessels.

But I do wonder if the expense of using a tug is so considerable, that the potential cost provides a considerable dis-incentive to a cruise-ship skipper to agree with the local pilot that a tug needs to be used? And could this lead to accidents?

Ray Arnold
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: On behalf of Ray Arnold

The cost of using a tug to assist in berthing can cost from around $15000 upwards depending on a number of factors. Modern cruise liners have a large amount of superstructure above the waterline as opposed to the depth (draught) below the waterline so are subject to large forces on them by any wind blowing. The pilot can advise on the use of tugs (except in ports where tug use is mandatory) but it is the captain who makes the decision as he knows how his ship handles in most conditions. However, ignoring the pilots advice can be dangerous should an accident occur. Size and availability of tube is also a factor to take into consideration when debating whether to use tube or not, however the cost of tug use as against the possibility of damage to ship and shore facility has to be taken into account. Even a relatively small bump with a quay can result in quite serious damage to the ship and quay, the cost of which can easily outweigh the cost of tug hire.
    My rule of thumb as master was if in doubt play safe and order guys and six the bean counters sitting in their fancy office.
    Rgds
    J.A.

4. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post