Thread: OOPs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default OOPs

Saga Cruises took delivery of their new ship from Meyer Werft, and managed to prang it..
    The ship collided with a Dolphin Maker, Police are interviewing Captain and Pilot.
    Only minor damaged sustained, bent hull plate and scraped paintwork.
    Vic
    Last edited by vic mcclymont; 26th June 2019 at 08:56 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: OOPs

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    Saga Cruises took delivery of their new ship from Meyer Werft, and managed to prang it..
    The ship collided with a Dolphin Maker, Police are interviewing Captain and Pilot.
    Only minor damaged sustained, bent hull plate and scraped paintwork.
    Vic
    A great yard, but I remember prior to and during the construction of the Oriana, approx 1993, wondering why the yard was located where is was and how they were going to get the vessel up the river in one piece. I was gone way before the launch and delivery to Southampton (which I did see on morning TV) but to me it was like turtles laying their eggs up on the beach and the hatchlings having to make a death rush to the safety of the sea.

3. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: OOPs

That shipyard almost got closed down before it had even built one ship. To get the completed vessels out to sea they had to dredge out a turning basin and also the river to accommodate the draft of the new builds. Environmental groups raised a stink over this as they said it would destroy the habitat of some lesser spotted work, or somesuch animal. The dredging was delayed by long periods and was only completed just in time to get the first built vessel out to sea. A German river pilot told me the story as we watched a new built passenger vessel undergoing sea trials on the Ems. The pilot was very dissmisses of the greens calling them stupid ****(German phrase for a hole)
    Rgds
    J.A.