Thread: Salvage of the KODEMA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Salvage of the KODEMA

This is an interesting film of the savage of the Kodema, off the Dorset coast 5 years ag, with her cargo of timber. The amount of money and effort pu in to the operation is incredible, and bit of a gamble i suppose. The film is 25 mins long, with some annoying adverts. The equipment used is amazing, kt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTPeUXpOMh0
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Salvage of the KODEMA

Keith
    I remember the kodema incident very well as we were the first ship on the scene. The weather was horrendous, howling winds and big seas. There was nothing we could do to assist those on board but we stood by using our searchlight to illuminate the scene whilst helicopters winched the crew members off her from the small area just aft of the funnel on the stbd side. There were two lifeboats also standing by but they could not take anyone off as the only possible area would have been somewhere on the Kodema's stbd side, which due to the list was a no no.
    Cannot recall how long we stood by her but by the time all the crew were winched off the list was that large that sea water was washing into that open door you can see on the port side of the funnel. If I can find my 2002 diary I will look up what I wrote about it.
    Rgds
    J.A.

3. Thanks Keith Tindell, Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Salvage of the KODEMA

Very interesting and informative.

Thanks both.

K.

5. Likes Keith Tindell, William J Plank liked this post