Thread: Gulf tubthumping

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Gulf tubthumping

The Sunday Times says the RFA ship out in the Gulf will be carrying a contingent of Royal Marines who will be on active duty. I always thought the RFA was a back-up not active service. I'd have thought that role more suited to an RN ship. Any views?

2. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Gulf tubthumping

Quote Originally Posted by William Bramhill View Post
    The Sunday Times says the RFA ship out in the Gulf will be carrying a contingent of Royal Marines who will be on active duty. I always thought the RFA was a back-up not active service. I'd have thought that role more suited to an RN ship. Any views?
    It wouldnt be unusual for the press to get it wrong. If it was a fleet support vessel then there would be a RN vessel in the vicinity. I dont know if they still have freighting tankers but would be highly unusual to have marines on board them.

4. Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Gulf tubthumping

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    It wouldnt be unusual for the press to get it wrong. If it was a fleet support vessel then there would be a RN vessel in the vicinity. I dont know if they still have freighting tankers but would be highly unusual to have marines on board them.
    There are two RN vessels on permanent station in Bahrain, they rotate with UK based vessels every two years. The new RFA vessels are multi purpose, there are no separate tankers anymore, they also have accommodation for 100 marines and heli-decks.