Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: MSC Opera

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: MSC Opera

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    JOHN, I take on board your point, I still if I was on deck use a heaving line and half a dozen pairs of eyes, And the inevitable scream from the wing of the bridge, {Check the spring } Terry.
    Terry, I always thought the screaming came from the shoreside guys you were aiming that heaving line at, am sure you deck lads used to aim at their heads ha ha!

2. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    Terry, I always thought the screaming came from the shoreside guys you were aiming that heaving line at, am sure you deck lads used to aim at their heads ha ha!
    Tony take it from me mate I have called them a few names, Especially when the monkey fist hit the quay and rolled back into the aqua as they stood and watched, There was more life in an urgent note than some of these guys. The back spring was every deck hands nightmare or could be I have seen a few of them part while mooring I used to get the turns on the bits as quick as possible and dive into the accommodation any where in the alleyway thank the lord I still have two legs. Terry.
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 6th June 2019 at 10:11 AM.
    {terry scouse}

4. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tony you are spot on with that scenario as that is exactly what one would do. That is to aim at the person so that they would notice it and take hold of it. Just like when throwing anything aloft one would aim at the persons nose so that they could either catch it or get a fecking good wake up call for not paying attention LOL
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Les, Can you remember the shout you had to make if you dropped anything from aloft whether there was anyone below you or not...……………..
    {terry scouse}

7. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To return to MSC Opera - I think that more complicated ( computerised etc ) the systems of communication between the bridge and engine rooms become, it is much more likely that events like this will occur. The old telegraph had a lot going for it, especially the chain ones. However I agree that there was a time lapse between the order and the actual engine movement but the Masters and the Pilots allowed for that and the only things that could go wrong were very limited. I think the first new dimension age of ships came with the pitch propeller, which caused a few stained ' shreddies ' in its early days. The famous Manchester Courage incident in the Latchford Lock introduced the fun and games that future ship maneuvers and handling were to bring to the unsuspecting Master Mariner. All this Azimuth / Pods / Thrusters and goodness knows what, just make the whole task of ship handling a complete lottery as to what will fail when and where.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

9. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From what I have seen of the thrusters work well, but like any piece of equipment, only if maintained and used correctly.

Many of the modern day systems can be set to auto control under just about any situation, but to work correctly must be programed correctly as well.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allman View Post
    To return to MSC Opera - I. The old telegraph had a lot going for it, especially the chain ones. However I agree that there was a time lapse between the order and the actual engine movement but the Masters and the Pilots allowed for that and the only things that could go wrong were very limited.
    Somehow Chris, I think with the length and depth of today's ships there may be more than a 'little delay' in the chain take-up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Ivan a very good point. Does anyone know how the telegraphs were operated on the likes of the old Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth when we did not have computers. I presume they must have been electrical. I only sailed on one ship with chains and the chains passed through a metal pipe / tube which itself passed through the officers toilets. They made one hell of a racket when the ship was manoeuvring.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allman View Post
    Yes Ivan a very good point. Does anyone know how the telegraphs were operated on the likes of the old Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth when we did not have computers. I presume they must have been electrical. I only sailed on one ship with chains and the chains passed through a metal pipe / tube which itself passed through the officers toilets. They made one hell of a racket when the ship was manoeuvring.
    Don't know about the Queens (Kong will) but some of the more modern ships, if you can call 1950's and 60's modern, did not chains with the 360 degree face, but had a 180 degree face and you clicked from one segment to another

15. Thanks Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Ivan the 180 degree ones which clicked from one segment to another were on the other ships I sailed on so they were electrical - I do remember that they had a battery back up.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast