Thread: The vanishing uniform

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The vanishing uniform

The strange and mysterious case of the vanishing uniform.

For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about this. I can't remember the ship but it was in my early days when we still had three men to a watch and hand steering.
    I was 12-4 on watch with a very odd 2nd mate. He would be called at 2345 and within 10 minutes he was on the bridge in full dress uniform including cap , he was the only one to dress this way. After the 3rd mate had handed over to him and left the bridge the ritual began. The chart must be exactly lined up with the angle of the table , all pencils in order of hardness and size , the teacups washed up and placed in the correct position , the cover replaced on the radar. All this was done with much tut tutting and grumbling noises of disapproval. He never ever spoke only made noises which made it a very long watch. When everything was to his satisfaction he threw both wheelhouse doors open and the pacing started , from one wing to the other. The wheelman , caught in the cross draught , waited until he went back into the chartroom then quietly closed the weather door. The 2nd mate , without his night sight , walked headfirst into the door. More tut tutting and grumbling noises but still not talking.
    He was not the most popular crew member on the ship , known by all as S...house - Jones. He brought his own plates and cutlery into the saloon at mealtimes , inspecting them when returned by the steward.
    In port a laundry and dry cleaning man came on board and many of the lads sent their gear to be washed or cleaned including the 2nd mate who sent his uniform. The next day he returned and hung up all the clothes on the handrail in the alleyway while he went to find the owners. This was when the uniform mysteriously disappeared never to be seen again.
    A few days later an ordinary seaman was on the bridge cleaning the brass , he had a piece of dark blue cloth to put on the Brasso and another piece of dark blue cloth in his back pocket for polishing. He made a very good job of it , the brass was gleaming.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The vanishing uniform

We had the dry cleaning service offered to us in Auckland about 56/57, I handed over a suit to be
    cleaned and several others did the same, when sailing day arrived there was no sign of our gear and
    the cleaner couldn't be located, the ship sailed and we was robbed. Muttering and Grumbling,
    "Tell me about it Louis" cheers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So John you were taken to the cleaners in Auckland , not the first or the last.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a deal with the wife
    If no job landward after 4 months she agreed I should return to sea ( Mind you she didn't know the company had been on to me twice) A week to go to freedom. THEN
    I did get an interview with a terrible company in Dundee. The person interviewing me was an old buddie. Swine. I tried every trick but I ended up with a bloody Test / inspector job.
    Anyway Uniform .
    My Father in law from Liverpool was up and thought he would to do window painting.
    Wife tells him he can get an old jacket in the cupboard and she then went to my sisters.
    You can picture it I come around the corner And there he was Painting with my jacket with two green/ diamond in gold braid It did go well with white gloss,
    I had a wee cry.
    Ron the batcave
    Last edited by Ron B Manderson; 12th May 2019 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

`Talking about Uniforms, Weel all we had was a lapel badge!. So a couple of weeks ago I am in a Thrift shop and there in a glass case was a MN Lapel badge. I bought it, so now I have two of them...Would someone like to buy it from me? $20 plus postage.

By the way are there any seamen on this show with a number near mine R 330936 Write something you must be in your 90's as I am..captlbs@shaw.ca
    Last edited by Brian Seward; 23rd July 2019 at 02:25 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian, As an Aussie joining British ships in January 1947 I would have been close but got paper discharges until I joined up at the Pool in early 1950.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good to meet you Brian #5. I was R412277 which puts you ahead of me. I joined Vindi in May 1948 and am now 88 years. It 's certainly out of the ordinary to see a number anywhere near mine as seagoers on this site have been mostly youngsters - or perhaps I've been dreaming in my dotage.
    KenT
    R412277

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

y the way ... when you see my e mail as captlbs........ I was not a Capt in the MN. After I came to Canada in 55 I tried to join the navy Reserves ,They rejected me as I Was TOO OLD???? (28) So I joined the Army reserves Engineer Sapper, I did 29 years Leaving as a Captain (Army). Served in Nato Germany for a six month stint aand had a 4 day leave in the UK.. Whilst in Uniform in UK I don't think I spent a penny there Everywhere I went people bought me beer,`````````````````````Even strangers a guy bought me a beer at Euston Station out of the blue ..An Aunt stuffed 10 Quid in my pocket.I Loved it...............................
    Last edited by Brian Seward; 29th July 2019 at 04:45 PM.