Thread: Another name disappears

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Another name disappears

Macandrews name is disappearing from shipping circles.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    https://gcaptain.com/iconic-shipping...eid=3b737aa316

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Another name disappears

Taken over by the frogs, CMA CGM
    That is all I ever see now around the world. all round South America, Pacific islands, NZ Australia, Indonesia Phiolipines Singapore etc etc
    every port full of CMA CGM, HAMBURG SUD, ,HAPAG LLOYD, MAERSK, containers, Not one British container have I seen for the past few years, WHICH SHOWS THAT THE EUROS HAVE STOLEN ALL OUR TRADE WORLD WIDE.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

CMA CGM still offer cadetships to British cadets, bit harsh to say we have had all our trade stolen, surely it is more down to not being competitive in certain sectors anymore. Was it Maersk line that bought out P&O /NedLlyod line?

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, Tony Taylor, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John A. Now this a coincidence. I have just acquired ten old copys of Sea Breezes from the mid 1960's. and the history of MacAndrews & Co. Ltd. is featured in two copys.
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Taken over by the frogs, CMA CGM
    That is all I ever see now around the world. all round South America, Pacific islands, NZ Australia, Indonesia Phiolipines Singapore etc etc
    every port full of CMA CGM, HAMBURG SUD, ,HAPAG LLOYD, MAERSK, containers, Not one British container have I seen for the past few years, WHICH SHOWS THAT THE EUROS HAVE STOLEN ALL OUR TRADE WORLD WIDE.
    Brian, Very sad news indeed I agree...…………………… We are the same island that we where 40 years ago surrounded by the same seas we have the same ports. So what has changed Euros ?? Me thinks there is a little more than that to our sad demise but I will put a knot in the word Brexit for now as requested, And of course the fact that our politician's don't have a pair amongst the bloody lot of them Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have just sailed down the west coast of South America, Columbia, Panama Ecuador, Peru, and Chile,
    once it was for 150 years all British ships and trade with the PSNC, they had it all.
    Now Nothing, not one British ship or container. everyone a German or French ship and containers.
    Before europe, every port on that coast had a British ship in it, mostly PSNC.
    We went across to New Zealand, every port used to have British ships in, Shaw Saville, Blue Star, Federal, NZSC, Port Line
    etc etc. now nothing
    Australian coast was the same. not one British ship. All around the world I never saw one British ship or even one British Container.
    We used to have 52% of All the worlds Merchant ships. that is a hell of a lot of ships.

WHAT HAPPENED??????????????????

We became a small province of a Greater Germany, thats what happened, and a million men died to stop them taking over. Bleddy sad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Brian.
    Hitler could have saved millions of lives by starting up the EU; the British politicians then were just as gullible as they are now with money to be made they would have been in like Flynn.
    Des

9. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My neighbor is on the cranes in Port Melbourne docks.
    We were only this morning talking of the decline in the shipping from so many countries.
    As he pointed out the greater majority of crew now on any ship are from the Philippines, Korea, Vietnam, China or some other Asian country where the rate of pay is far below that of any western nation.
    He said he cannot remember, and he has over twenty years service there, of any what he called western seafarers on ships.

Sign of the times I fear, cheap labour to keep costs down and profits up, but there is nothing new in that as we all know.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Trader liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A few years ago a friend was Master of a ship in Singapore, the Agent turned up and told him he had the cheapest crew in the world,, Guess where from?
    He said, Korea,? Filipines? China? Thailand ?
    NO
    They are from Nepal. in the Himalayas, they had never seen a ship or the sea before. only water was mountain streams.
    They came on board and another ship sailed past and his ship rocked a bit, They all fell on the deck screaming, they thought it was an earthquake.
    He took the ship to Angola with much difficulty and got off , not been back to sea since,

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Curious how many of us drive a British built car? If not why not. British shipping were slow to move into the container world. House hold names in British shipping, Cunard ,P&O, Blue Star line, Furness Withy, Blue Funnel. All liner companies, sold down the river by the directors in the board room. Very easy to blame someone else when really that is not always the case.
    Sad but true.
    Last edited by Samuel Denton; 13th April 2019 at 08:44 PM.

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post