Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: RMS Titanic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: RMS Titanic

#8 In a short answer to an examiner then Rob the theory for the rivets going if made of different metals, would have been different co-efficients of expansion. The same reason why mercury is used in thermometers and barometers rather than water which would be too close to the expansion of glass. ? I sailed with a 3rd. Engineer who claimed it was because of the Titanic that the engineers had purple put behind their braid. I said he was spouting spoof, I didn’t really know and still don’t, just pleased I didn’t say there’s no flys on me you can’t fool me. Otherwise Louis may have had a twin on site John the fly. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th February 2019 at 10:20 AM.

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The wrought iron is one of the roughest toughest materials known that's why you make crane hooks railway couplings and things like that out of it the difference is when you belt it in with a pneumatic hammer or you put it in with two men and big hammers . The problem is the shear force when you got a rivet holding two pieces of metal together and you pull the two pieces of metal horizontally apart the rivet needs to stop the metal and needs to stay whole because of the iron rivet is I'd to be hammered in by pneumatic riveting gun being put in by hand it gave it a lesser shear strength . When you allow for the embrittlement in the steel plate which is considerably worse below 32 degrees F and I believe the sea temperature that night just prior to the collision with somewhere around 29 degrees F then once you start Buckling plates where you would have a microscopic crack the whole thing was start a running track which in the case of a rivet hold it would open up with a star like pattern of cracks about the Rivet . . So you can blame not substandard rivets but the wrong rivet for the method of application or more substantially you can blame the poor quality of the steel plate but we are comparing this to modern production methods of Steel and modern metallurgical practices over 100 years ago you got a fairly good product but nothing like the quality you would get today

When it comes to the bullocks about the purple in the braids there are photographic evidence of marine engineers having purple backing to the braid as far back as the 1880s . This was originally started in the Royal Navy I believe who eventually discontinued it with the exception of the red for the doctor's so there is absolutely no relationship whatsoever between a colour of Engineering braids and the Titanic and the number of engineers that I've heard have some Cock and Bull Story about the engineers or impermanent morning for the men that lost the Titanic etc it's all totally rubbish . I believe it's actually there so people are warned that we are highly sensitive delicate people who have wonderfully fragrance sense of humour and a big squishy in the control room that says switch this over to resume engine room control just in case

The other Myth on braids that I've heard all kind of stories about is the fact that Union Castle lost so many ships that they were awarded RN style braids I don't know where that one came from but there's another fairy story the braids with the curl was clan line company livery

I have read quite a lot on the failure of the Titanic the biggest contributory Factor was it was designed to hit it head on not drag it along the side but nobody actually steering knew that and if they had would they have had time to make the right decision . Other designer forgot to take the watertight bulkheads up to the main deck which were the advantage of hindsight was absolutely bloody stupid. Everything we know that UC springing up always comes with the accompanying TV documentary and possibly a book
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also the story about putting the wheel the wrong way and the helmsman not knowing his starboard from his larboard. Wonder now if that 3/e really believed the purple story. Maybe the master of the Costa Concordia was tying to emulate the Titanic. Wonder if he had a steering ticket. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th February 2019 at 01:12 PM.

5. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't looked at the survivors list from Titanic , hope the 14 year old bellboy was one of them.

7. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Coal trimmers were the men who moved the coal from the cola hold to the furnace doors for the firemen to put in the furnace.
    Had there been a substantial fire in such a hold then it is quite possible they would not have been able to shovel it out.
    There were only three boilers, not four as the funnels suggest the forth was just for show.

But as said before any theory good or bad will from time to timer surface.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    The wrought iron is one of the roughest toughest materials known that's why you make crane hooks railway couplings and things like that out of it the difference is when you belt it in with a pneumatic hammer or you put it in with two men and big hammers . The problem is the shear force when you got a rivet holding two pieces of metal together and you pull the two pieces of metal horizontally apart the rivet needs to stop the metal and needs to stay whole because of the iron rivet is I'd to be hammered in by pneumatic riveting gun being put in by hand it gave it a lesser shear strength . When you allow for the embrittlement in the steel plate which is considerably worse below 32 degrees F and I believe the sea temperature that night just prior to the collision with somewhere around 29 degrees F then once you start Buckling plates where you would have a microscopic crack the whole thing was start a running track which in the case of a rivet hold it would open up with a star like pattern of cracks about the Rivet . . So you can blame not substandard rivets but the wrong rivet for the method of application or more substantially you can blame the poor quality of the steel plate but we are comparing this to modern production methods of Steel and modern metallurgical practices over 100 years ago you got a fairly good product but nothing like the quality you would get today

When it comes to the bullocks about the purple in the braids there are photographic evidence of marine engineers having purple backing to the braid as far back as the 1880s . This was originally started in the Royal Navy I believe who eventually discontinued it with the exception of the red for the doctor's so there is absolutely no relationship whatsoever between a colour of Engineering braids and the Titanic and the number of engineers that I've heard have some Cock and Bull Story about the engineers or impermanent morning for the men that lost the Titanic etc it's all totally rubbish . I believe it's actually there so people are warned that we are highly sensitive delicate people who have wonderfully fragrance sense of humour and a big squishy in the control room that says switch this over to resume engine room control just in case

The other Myth on braids that I've heard all kind of stories about is the fact that Union Castle lost so many ships that they were awarded RN style braids I don't know where that one came from but there's another fairy story the braids with the curl was clan line company livery

I have read quite a lot on the failure of the Titanic the biggest contributory Factor was it was designed to hit it head on not drag it along the side but nobody actually steering knew that and if they had would they have had time to make the right decision . Other designer forgot to take the watertight bulkheads up to the main deck which were the advantage of hindsight was absolutely bloody stupid. Everything we know that UC springing up always comes with the accompanying TV documentary and possibly a book
    Only one guy in the world that celebrated or had mixed feelings about the Titanic disaster,
    And he was an ex American Seaman.

Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan

Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan is an 1898 novella written by Morgan Robertson. The story features the ocean liner which sinks in he North Atlantic.

Although the novel was written before the RMS Titanic was even conceptualized and therefore there are about a dozen major differences between the two, there are some uncanny similarities between both the fictional and real-life versions. Like the Titanic, the fictional ship sank in April in the North Atlantic, and there were not enough lifeboats for the passengers. There are also similarities between the size (800 ft (244 m) long for Titan versus 882 ft 9 in (269 m) long for the Titanic[2]), speed (25 knots for Titan, 22.5 knots for Titanic[3]) and life-saving equipment.
    Beyond the name, the similarities between the Titanic and the fictional Titan include:[4]
    Both were triple screw (propeller)
    Described as "unsinkable"
    The Titan was the largest craft afloat and the greatest of the works of men (800 feet, displacing 75,000 tons, up from 45,000 in the 1898 edition), and was deemed "practically unsinkable" (as quoted in Robertson's book).
    Shortage of lifeboats
    The Titanic carried only 16 lifeboats, plus 4 Engelhardt folding lifeboats,[5] less than half the number required for her passenger and crew capacity of 3000.
    The Titan carried "as few as the law allowed", 24 lifeboats, which could carry less than half of her total complement of 3000.
    Struck an iceberg
    Moving at 22½ knots,[6] the Titanic struck an iceberg on the starboard side on the night of April 14, 1912, in the North Atlantic, 400 nautical miles (740 km; 460 mi) away from Newfoundland.
    Moving at 25 knots, The Titan also struck an iceberg on the starboard side on an April night in the North Atlantic, 400 nautical miles (740 km; 460 mi) from Newfoundland (Terranova).
    Sinking
    The Titanic sank, and more than half of her 2200 passengers and crew died.
    The Titan also sank, and more than half of her 2500 passengers drowned.
    Following the Titanic's sinking, some people credited Robertson with clairvoyance. Robertson denied this, claiming the similarities were explained by his extensive knowledge of shipbuilding and maritime trends.[
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {terry scouse}

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How about reading and watching actual facts about the construction of "RMS Titanic" for a change.
    Click on html below.

https://www.capitalsteel.net/news/blog/steel-titanic

Fouro.

12. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2