Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WW2 Records WEst Indies

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default WW2 Records WEst Indies

Can anyone advise me where it might be possible to obtain any/all of the following:

For WELLANDOC (formerly Brampton) Owners Patterson Steamship Company
    Voyage Record Cards and Crew lists for 1943/44
    For most of this period she was listed under a Panamanian flag and so UK records hold nothing!

For DELAMAR Owners Alcoa Steamship Company
    Voyage Record Cards and Crew lists for 1943/44
    Again she does not appear in British records as far as I am aware, although I have a trace memory of seeing a voyage record card for her on a visit to Lloyds Library London some time in the 1980's.

Any suggestions?

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: WW2 Records WEst Indies

The Wellandoc Movement Cards for WWII are at Kew in BT 389/31/236. You can download her full war service at the link below for £3.50. As for her Crew Agreement. The only one available is for 1945 held at Kew in BT 381/3417. Now it is possible it may have her earlier Crew Agreements in this file, if the ship was out of the UK for the period 1943/44, which you could verify by her Movement Card file.

Ship Name: Wellandoc 149435 Former Ship Name: Brampton Gross Tonnage: 1926 | The National Archives

Can not find any ship listing for a "DELAMAR" either in Lloyds or The Worlds Merchant Fleets of WWII.
    Last edited by DeepSea; 24th January 2019 at 06:22 PM.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Hazel
    Don't know if I am way off the mark this time but all I can find is a Tug called Delamar ?? But have not seen any Records on her as yet!
    Cheers

There was a Dominic Stringer aboard her as I see on the Internet,around that time.

https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surn...r/1374/mb.ashx

Oh just seen this now Hazel ,So have you lost that Record!?? Sorry! LOL

I can tell you that Delamar was some sort of coast hugging tug that plied a trade shipping bauxite from British Guyana and neighbouring countries through to the US and the West Indies. If my memory serves I do have a photocopy of a Lloyds register movement card for Delamar covering the period Dad was on it, but, of course that does not tell me where he was before. I am just trying to fill the gap.
    So you can see Dad was a bit of a mystery! If you are interested there is an account of Dad's escape from Singapore here.

Stringer-Dominic-Michael

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 24th January 2019 at 10:19 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

5. Thanks Hazel Stringer thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just printed this once and disappeared will try again. Your post about loading bauxite from Guyana, brought back memory’s of my almost a year shifting the same bauxite from Trinidad to Port Alfred from Chageramus on the western end of Trinidad. I often wondered how that ore got to be lying on the Quay there and assumed that ore carriers brought it in. However your mention of tugs opens up the possibility that it could have been brought in by barge and tug. One trip we brought back with the ibauxite a chief Steward who had I think been working in Guyana and funnily enough he was a scouser and had been a POW in Singapore I cant remember his name now, but this was 1967 and he still bore the scars from 1945 22 years previously. JS

As regards the printed report of the escape from Singapore my Uncle wasn’t so lucky. He was a driver of one of the last trucks over the causeway , they were supposed to get out of the truck and into the storm drain when under air attack. He was supposed to have got out and under his own truck and received a direct hit. He was MIA for 6 years so in all credibility the story could be made up by the war Ministry to satisfy family members. As my cousin on investigation at the Australian war memorial found more information re his grave in the war cemetery than the British war Ministry ever made available. I think it drove my grandmother to an early grave that 6 years of waiting for news of him. She was barely 60 when she died and her hair was completely white. Mine is white which I put down to old age as an excuse , she never had that excuse. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th January 2019 at 12:17 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    ...... Your post about loading bauxite from Guyana, brought back memory’s of my almost a year shifting the same bauxite from Trinidad to Port Alfred from Chageramus on the western end of Trinidad. JS

I believe Chageramus was the site of the US base where Dad signed up!

As regards the printed report of the escape from Singapore my Uncle wasn’t so lucky. ...... As my cousin on investigation at the Australian war memorial found more information re his grave in the war cemetery than the British war Ministry ever made available. . JS
    Yes, the Australian records are rather more open than ours!

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Doc,
    Look what I found - patience and lots of digging pays off! I hope I have managed to upload a photograph of Delamar taken 1938 Mississippi river delta
    Last edited by Hazel Stringer; 18th September 2020 at 01:00 AM.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No Pic Hazel ???
    Try again please
    Thanks

PS Did i send you the Record on the Wellandoc cannot remember!

"The Wellandoc Movement Cards for WWII are at Kew in BT 389/31/236" Re Billy

https://www.roll-of-honour.org.uk/s/...ic-michael.htm Just for remembrance

This Pic is one of a Tug called Delmar ? I wonder if the Spelling was incorrect or is it another Tug ?
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 18th September 2020 at 07:52 AM.

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    No Pic Hazel ???
    Try again please
    Thanks

PS Did i send you the Record on the Wellandoc cannot remember!

"The Wellandoc Movement Cards for WWII are at Kew in BT 389/31/236" Re Billy

https://www.roll-of-honour.org.uk/s/...ic-michael.htm Just for remembrance

This Pic is one of a Tug called Delmar ? I wonder if the Spelling was incorrect or is it another Tug ?
    Cheers
    Hi Doc,

I was always hopeless at technology. I tried again - no luck I have emailed you a copy of the photograph. Perhaps you would be kind enough to oblige by posting it for me?

The ship you have pictured is almost certainly the same class if not the same ship!
    My photograph comes from US Corps of Engineers records at New Orleans.

It would be interesting to see if members think they are the same ship! It sounds like London buses wait for hours and two come along at once!
    Last edited by Hazel Stringer; 18th September 2020 at 10:20 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Hazel
    File received and here is the download for you
    Thanks
    The File was in Tiff Format Hazel, and this site will not allow that,so i converted it to JPEG
    Yes does look the same but different colour and place
    Cheers

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 18th September 2020 at 09:21 PM.

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Doc,

Thanks for that! It is much appreciated

15. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast