Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ivory and Hippo Hides

Terry Sullivan Guest

Default Re: Ivory and Hippo Hides

Brought back a memory of Canadian Pacifice Beaver boats. Before sailing we always changed bank notes into bags of 'silver' coins as we got a higher rate of exchage for Canadian dollars. Could never understand this as everywhere else only notes could be exchanged. I know that we sometimes loaded boxes of British silver coins being returned to UK.
    Montreal in summer, St Johns in winter with a stop both ways in Antwerp.
    Terry Sullivan R340406

- - - Updated - - -

I remember being on a Port boat when the Sydney dockers went on strike for embrassment money for unloading toilet pans ! No wonder containers came about.
    Terry Sullivan R340406

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Gibson View Post
    Did you ever ship out on the Beaver Fir? Did the trip to Canada on her in the early 60s
    I was cadet on her from October 68 through to June 69. Great job and even did a dry dock on her when we are on a side slip in a small dock yard in Rotterdam. 10 days on the slip at a 15 degree angle. Was feted by the chief officer for discovering the spare propeller that had been put down the tonnage hatch and boxed in some years previously and no one could remember where it was. Think it was urgently needed for another Beaver ship that had damaged her prop. Also lost two o.s., one killed climbing out of No1 hatch with cargo brand gear just as the McGregor hatch cover was being closed, trapping him between the coaming and the cover and decapitating him, the other who tried to throw himself into the river whilst we were tied up on the river berths in Antwerp. He was bundled into an ambulance kicking and screaming to be taken to hospital for mental patients and was never heard of or seen again. Next trip back in Antwerp despite making inquiries to the agent etc. Everyone denied any knowledge of him.
    Rgds
    J.A.

3. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Come on guys, ' Ivory & Hippo Hides ' not Beaver Boats, please stay on thread, I am sure there must be more stories to tell of both hides and ivory. Thanks.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3