Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Presents For Seamen.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Christmas Presents For Seamen.

I was over at the mission before for my usual few pints of Guinness plenty of Christmas lights around place well decorated.There was a small reindeer model there and all around it were shoe box size parcels nicely decorated I thought they were just dummies for show,I picked one up and it was quite heavy.Well they are actual presents for the seamen they include toiletries as in toothpaste toothbrush,shaving gear etc and lets not forget the woollen hats which are very popular this time of the year.I remember leaving Cartagena,Colombia heading for the West Coast of Africa,we were going tobe at sea for Christmas and we all received a little Christmas hamper from the mission a nice gesture.Any of you lads on here remember getting a nice Christmas present from the mission.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

For Brenda.Brenda I have read you posts regarding knitting woollen hats for seamen well if this mission is anything to go by I can tell you that they are very much appreciated.There are two baskets here which are regularly filled with the woollen hats and they are empty very quickly,this weather they will be much sort after.
    Last edited by Jim Brady; 16th December 2018 at 06:22 PM.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Christmas Presents For Seamen.

Can honestly say i never received any presents at Xmas, i had six out of seven Christmas,s at sea itself, so understandable i suppose. I see you drink in the mission quite frequently Jim, interested on the seaman that are in there, serving seamen i mean, are they mainly foreign crews, or are there still some Brits ?. I often wonder if the mission is still in most large ports. I know the priest/vicar boards the ships at Fawley, mainly because of the quick turnaround i suppose, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith I still call it the mission but they do not have any vicars or priests here anymore,and it is now known as Liverpool Seafarers Centre.They are here to look after seamen visiting the port and they do go the distance to see to their needs.Three mini buses here,pick up and drop off at the ships and run them into Liverpool and arrange to pick them up.Quite a good stock of sweets,crisps etc and can also get various phone cards plus a pint if they so wish.I go there now because I am quite limited in my mobility,I always went into Liverpool and other places on a Sunday and just called in the mish for one for the road,now with it being just over the road my wife drops me off and I give her a ring when I am ready to come home.Sometimes I could be the only one in the place,like today I was the only one having a pint then a guy sat by me who happened to be a Russian chf/eng waiting for an ACL ship to dock he had just flown in from Russia.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Recall one Xmas at the old Jellico Seamans Mission in Southampton,they had it all nice and Decorated in the Main Lounge,with Tree etc,however cannot say that i recall seeing any Pressies there.

All i do remember is we had a great time on the Day with a good Slap Up Meal with all the trimmimgs!
    I recall especially the Delicious Roast Pork with the Yummy Crackling.
    That was the first and last time I had Xmas in any Missions.
    cHEERS
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like just the place i would enjoy a pint Jim, don't have anything like that here, unfortunately, kt
    R689823

6. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A, Jim Brady liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Jim a Russian C/Eng on an ACL ship. Nice to know the lads that lost there lives on the Atlantic Conveyor during the Falklands did not die in vain.
    Yes I had many a Christmas present from the missions during my time at sea. I think the last time was in Teesport 1997. Yes a knitted hat and a few sweets and a Christmas card from the lady that knitted the hat. It was lovely just to think that some very kind person took the time to care about us at sea and I am sure I still have the hat around somewhere. I still have a little pocket sized New Testament I was given when in the mission when we were in Portland in Oregon in 1986.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jim,I was in the Seaman's Mission Waterloo a few months ago,with the World Ship Society,had a pint of Draft Guinness,fantastic place,hope to go there again in the New Year.R634898.

9. Thanks Jim Brady thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Jim Brady, Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3... will always be the mission to me whether the Flying angel or the catholic mission. The catholic mission was the best chance of getting a drink ( alcoholic ) in the old days as always seemed that bit more liberal minded. The likes of the catholic mission in BA at one time had a little tartar of a padre though and had to go to a church service before the dance.none of the girls were allowed to leave the premises in the company of a seaman, so other arrangements had to be made. I am sure many happy liaisons were made for lifelong commitments. I know of at least one. They did and probably still do a lot of good work. Seamen of the old school however used to view them as a place to go when they were broke, and had consciences of not ringing home so made for the mission to rectify that fact. The mission in Mill Dam ,South Shields ( flying angel) always seemed to have old ex seamen hanging around probably was the only place that let them when they were destitute and old. Cappy will know more about it than me, as only visited it as a boy. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th December 2018 at 11:45 PM.

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Jim Brady, William J Plank liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jim, your mission sounds much like the one here in Port Melbourne.

Bus to pick up seamen and take them back to their ship.
    But the chapel is used most Sundays for service, not sure how many go but I know a few of the locals use it at times.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Thanks Bob MacIntyre thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I spent a lot of time in the Melbourne Mission, some lovely girls there at the Dances, Used to have to walk miles bak to the ship after taking them home on the train to places such as Heidelberg and missing the last train back
    The Padre there was a man with a big stutter, BUT he was a big hard case, a boxer, I saw him batter many a Seaman if he got out of hand with the girls.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast