Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Chipping Hammers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Chipping Hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    That. would be a title to have Cappy, “ I am the leading light of North Shields”. JS
    ahh john but a bit pretentious even for cappy.....lol

2. Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your just saying that because they haven’t giving you a visa for the north side yet. It must be like that character who used to charge at windmills in fairy tale stories, in the North Sea these days with all the windmills stuck out there, would be ok to hang your wet dhoby on the sails. Jws Another small. Problem on ownership on Brexit, “ and you can get your windmill out of my backyard thank you” . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th December 2018 at 11:00 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JWS mentioned cement washing of the fresh water tanks.I joined the Crystal Sapphire new build at Cammel Laird I think they must have pumped the fresh water into the tanks before the cement had gone off.The water tasted terrible and the smell off it you had to hold your nose to drink,it was ok once it was boiled for making tea and coffee.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    JWS mentioned cement washing of the fresh water tanks.I joined the Crystal Sapphire new build at Cammel Laird I think they must have pumped the fresh water into the tanks before the cement had gone off.The water tasted terrible and the smell off it you had to hold your nose to drink,it was ok once it was boiled for making tea and coffee.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    aye it was awful, and if not washed down properly before putting tank into service, not unusual to give people the skitters as well

6. Likes Jim Brady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Cappy it would retain its original name call sign GCC if I remember rightly. Rgds Den

- - - Updated - - -

John just had another Senior Moment and sent the reply regarding Cullercoats Radio to Cappy. Rgds Den

8. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I took a number of new builds out of yards in Denmark and Japan as 2nd mate and mate. In all cases the fresh water tanks were coated and it was more than a month and changes of water, before the smell and taste disappeared.
    With regards to cargo tank coatings, C.P's chemical tankers came out with Camrex coatings and it was rubbish Camrex actually blasted the tanks of one of them and recoated them with a new improved Camrex coating. It was still rubbish and the decision was taken to recoat all of them with phenolic coating from Sigma paints. This was done in Keppel Tuas yard. I was mate on the Fort Toronto, the first to be done and we spent 60 days there blasting and recoating. We had inspectors for the surface preparation, inspectors from Sigma for the coating plus an independent coating inspector. All the tank entrances were covered and dehumidifiers put in place. Every coat, stripe, primer and top where checked for film thickness with any defects being made good. We actually lost 2 weeks when an examination of the used grit it was discovered that the wrong size of grit had been used, requiring re blasting. On sailing it was decided that ship's crew would blast and recoat the decks with a zinc primer and epoxy top coat. The yard placed a compressor and blasting gear on board and off we went. We loaded palm and coconut oil around the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia for discharge in Rotterdam. By the time we got there we had around 75% of the deck blasted and recoated and a bleddy good job the sailors had done. I used to do 6 hours a day blasting with the lads sweeping up and applying the coatings.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#35 I get to them all the time now. Must have been something in the water all those years ago , and maybe the cement is beginning to set in the head. Den you worked offshore , must have carried thousands of tons of Cement, Baryites and bentonite. What did they use the bentonite for ? Know the Baryites was for mud making, was the bentonite for mud also ? Cheers JS..
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th December 2018 at 01:49 PM.

11. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Someone in Cayzer's House decided that Clan 'R's" decks should be sand blasted at sea by the crew - good idea on paper.
    The first time the crew blasted a complete plate, it was nice and shiney by the morning it was coated in rust, they knocked without priming it.
    The continual use of air on deck it an enormous strain on the ships main compressors. Next trip we had mobile compressor lashed on deck.
    The lasting grit got everywhere, the E.R. intake fans were on top of the wheelhouse, sucking in the grit and coating the engine room.
    One fridge compressor had to have new bearings fitted due to the grit..
    I don't think anyone took into account the aditional cost of blasting decks at sea.
    Vic

13. Likes N/A, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry John can't help you there,remember the names but not what it was used for. Rgds Den

15. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Jim Brady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: washing the Fresh Water Tanks, this is from my story of the Dunedin Star in 1956.....................

...................I went ashore at 1pm and at the first bar stopped for a beer. Inside was a lad I had sailed with on the `Empress of Scotland` 18 months earlier.
    He was on a Ropner boat, the `Levenpool`, a Fort boat; they were trying to get paid off. They were on a two-year voyage, coal from the Continent to Buenos Aires and grain back to the Continent.
    They had all began to break out in scabs and boils with bad guts. They had complained about the water, which was pumped up from the after peak and told the tank was cleaned and cement washed in dry dock in Glasgow nine months earlier. They had the Union man over from London and eventually got the tank drained and then the manhole cover was unbolted. Inside they found the skeletal remains of a man and some empty whisky bottles. It was presumed that the man who cleaned it also had a few whiskies and flaked out inside. When the men shouted inside if anyone was there, no answer, then they battened down… When it was filled up he must have drowned and they had been drinking this contaminated water for nine months. So they were hoping to get paid off.
    My mate was gulping ale down as fast as he could, trying to wash the taste of the ships water away,......................

17. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Ken Norton liked this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast