Thread: red funnel ferry that demolished yachts

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default red funnel ferry that demolished yachts

The initial report of the Red Funnel accident of a few months ago in Cowes, the marine investigation report is not out yet. I was never a navigation officer, but this report leaves me scratching my head, basically it seemed the Skipper lost the plot, and was totally confused, and ended up taking the helm himself, and did not know which way he was facing. Be interested to hear the views of navigation officers on here. I am aware this is just the company statement, and i look forward to the Marine investigation, kt

https://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/17275629...eport-reveals/
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: red funnel ferry that demolished yachts

I have never been really into the yachting world but I have a couple of friends who take their yacht very seriously they were telling me that it to contessa 32 that was sunk and the insurance company are offering to purchase a second-hand one to replace it apparently these things are virtually hand built by a company called Jeremy Rogers and although they are second-hand it 20 or £30,000 the new ones are somewhere around £250,000 Hand Built to a very high specification I expected at the loss adjusters are having kittens because they can't find a second-hand one that actually is the exact same spec as the one that sank
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

3. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have sailed on a Contessa 32, very well built yacht, and really a classic racer, as well as a cruiser of yesteryear. so a bit like trying to replace a classic that was crushed by a lorry, kt

- - - Updated - - -

meant of course classic car
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My understanding is that the ship builders who make them still do them to a very high standard and the original plans but as I said in the earlier post they are not cheap
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd suggest commercial pressure to be on time and turn around on time, spatial disorientation if fog was (really) that thick, panicking (suggested by the numerous helm orders and then taking the helm) and failing to just stop and figure out WTF is happening.

When I was skippering boats in the UK we always had a STOP option. If anyone thought anything was dangerous or likely to be they could call STOP and everything came to a standstill until all concerns are addressed. All without blame or come back.

I've never worked double ended ferries, I've seen them sailing the 'wrong way' because no one changed the nav lights for th direction of travel. I wonder if that is a factor? Do they have a defined bow and stern? Was the captain confused as to which end was head up?

One of the hardest things I did was to step back and give orders. Having my hands on the wheel and engine controls was SO much easier than telling others what to do. Only once did I have to take over, was in the Irish Sea heading for Milford Haven when the Mate froze on the wheel in horrendous weather and we were at risk of broaching. As an aside that is the only place I've seen seas grown so big and so quick.

It's easy to sit here and think but none of us (I think), were on the bridge and as such don't know the dynamics of the bridge team or how they ended up as they did.

It is good that RF have kept the captain working albeit as a chief, many compamies wouldn't have done that. When I lived on the IOW I'd drive the extra miles to use them. Their food was good and they got me home one night before Christmas by waiting a few minutes they didn't have to and they just seemed more professional. The journey was longer ran from Portsmouth but more enjoyable.

SDG
    Last edited by Shaun Gander; 5th December 2018 at 11:03 AM.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Chris Allman, Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still is a better company Shaun, journey is just over an hour, but travelling to the mainland always gives time for a full English breakfast on board. Still a bit strange, she turned hard to port, approx half a mile from her berth, straight through moored craft, and hard aground. It was VERY thick fog. We will see what the Marine investigation have to say, kt
    R689823

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes robpage liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Still is a better company Shaun, journey is just over an hour, but travelling to the mainland always gives time for a full English breakfast on board. Still a bit strange, she turned hard to port, approx half a mile from her berth, straight through moored craft, and hard aground. It was VERY thick fog. We will see what the Marine investigation have to say, kt
    Yes definately a good breakfast. Seem to remember them doing a nice bacon bap too?

SDG

12. Likes Keith Tindell, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My late wife and I used to go across to the island a couple of times for a winter weekends every year we would go to a seafront hotel in Sandown and part of the deal was 3 car and passenger crossings always Red Funnel apparently they did a good deal for the hotels in winter

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The result of the enquiry into this marine accident has been published, this link is just the local paper, but it seems as members here commented on, the skipper just lost the plot, kt

https://www.countypress.co.uk/news/1...ion-concludes/
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    The result of the enquiry into this marine accident has been published, this link is just the local paper, but it seems as members here commented on, the skipper just lost the plot, kt

https://www.countypress.co.uk/news/1...ion-concludes/

Lost the p[lot, did he ever read the script??
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller