Thread: Hull and the Humber estuary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hull and the Humber estuary

Saw this on the internet today. Have a mate who is a pilot there and Saltend and Immingham were regular calls when I was still sailing. Bleddy cold and miserable in winter gale's though.
    https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news...ep-2248230.amp
    Rgds
    J.A.

2. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes William J Plank liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hull and the Humber estuary

John, sailed onto Immingham when on Tor Line. How the landlord of the Lock Inn pub got away with his watered down beer probably because a change from the canned beer we usually drank. Rgds Den

4. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Den
    Why the Lock Inn, what a dive, rotten beer included.
    In 81 I spent 21 days loading general cargo on a geared bulker in Immingham shifting berth on an almost daily basis in order to allow access for the cargo to be brought alongside the ship and loaded. All the cargo was stored in wharehouses outside the port area and daily, as mate, myself and the German supercargo would visit these wharehouses to sea what further cargo we could fit on board. I remember loading a huge weaving loom, pipes for sewage drains, both steel and plastic, the steel work for a new road bridge, flat bed road trailers and lot's more. The ship was 26000 dwt bulker and we had previously place in Uddevalla , Bremen and Antwerp but the total loaded in Immingham was around 15000 tons. All the cargo was for discharge in the middle East. I paid off in Immingham at the end of a 6 month trip that had started in Japan and took in Taiwan, Singapore and Algeria ( where we were stuck for 2 months).
    As an aside, when you were in Tor line, did you ever come across a guy called Peter Atkinson, he would have been mate or possibly Captain and was a big tall ginger haired guy who lived in Beverley and had a small holding where he reared reared pigs and a few sheep?
    Rgds
    J.A.
    p.s. last time I was in Immingham in 08 the Lock Inn was closed and looking derelict.
    Last edited by John Arton; 25th November 2018 at 11:06 AM.

6. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John, I didn't sail with him as regards the Lock Inn I would have liked to be the landlord he must have made a fortune despite his lousy ale. Rgds Den

8. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Lock Inn. Was the one right next to the locks is that right. Have seen it a few times was also near the ferry landing ?. On the other side of the water in Hull we used to go To KG 5. There was a pub there also which done a roaring trade but can’t remember its name. Think they used to cash in Advance Notes. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only sailed out of Hull once, that was enough.
    Odd place with odd people, at that time the city had it's own telephone service separate from the rest of the country.
    Local beer from memory was not that good and a week loading cargo and taking on stores was enough for me.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The pub opposite the station if I remember correctly was called the Paragon the same as the station. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed out of Hull on numerous occasions, the beer in most of the pubs i visited looked like it had a lot of fish food in it, all manner of things floating about in it, maybe it was the dregs saved up for Merchant seamen, or maybe just topped the barrel up with contents of the spittoon . Always had bad guts leaving Hull, and seem to recall the docks were a long way from the city, kt
    R689823

13. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###once went on a coach trip with a bunch of old vindi boys to hull ......and visited the land of green ginger did the bars round the docks went aboard the old trawler ...which was interesting ...got back about 8 at night only to discover we should have been at my mates house for dinner at seven......got ballocked all the way there cant remember a thing about that night but jeez did i get it next morn ....no sunday lunch cooked and beloved telling me what a disgrace full show i had put on ......my mate tom told me i was great entertainment ....but nobody told me to this day what i had done.....must have enjoyed it ......cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know the feeling Cappy, wake up in the morning, dreading what you said or done, luckily too old for that malarkey now, just a sedate old gentleman lol, kt
    R689823