Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Accommodation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Accommodation.

2917670.jpg

This is the Chemical Tanker Mayaro built in 2015 in Japan and sailing under the flag of that country.There were six Filipino seamen in the mission on Sunday they had flown in from Manila and had stayed at a hotel in Liverpool and they were spending their time in the mission awaiting the ship to dock at 20.00hrs.I was talking to the chf/engineer when he was telling me that it was quite a new ship built in Japan,I said to him being the chf/eng you will have very good accommodation,he said no Japanese ships never have good accommodation European ships are the best.That came as a surprise to me for some reason I expected being Japanese it would be the best.Full Filipino crew on here except for the captain who is Croation.There was a number of seaman from three different ships in the mission on Sunday and they were all Filipino they must be the largest nation of seamen even our Irish ferries here are crewed by Filipinos.

Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Accommodation.

Jim in 1969 a Chinese seaman out of Hong Kong was on 28 pounds a month, a Philippino was on 27 pounds a month. There is or was no paid overtime with either. We changed or rather the owner did in Hong Kong for the sake of 1 pound a month per seaman. JS

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John WS I know you spent quite some time running out of Port Talbot there was a antique show on Tv yesterday where they visited the steel works there.They were talking to past employees of the steel works one chap said when the average wage was £11.0.0d per week they were earning £22.0.0dpw.I know when I was sailing out of there I was told how much the grab operators were earning just forget what it was now but I know it was fantastic money,and the story was that the job was handed down to the son.

Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes heard the same. Father to son on the cranes. JS
    Re. Japanese built ships ... I was on one as mate for 13 months the Maratha Envoy which was built in 1968. She was late in doing the guaranteee drydocking at which I was present. There were a few building errors in her design which I pointed out had to be changed and the japs must have been in their infancy regards shipbuilding as my advice was accepted with much ooooing and aahhhhing as a way of getting round the problems cheaply.. I think the superintendent at the building was one the company had brought in and not very bright it seemed. However the accomodation like American built ships was basic. The likes of composition decks in the accomodation and tin furniture was standard US design. On top of that you only get what you pay for. She was a 30,000 plus deadweight geared bulk carrier , and she was like a second home to me when I left, as put curtains up at my own expense including door curtains , and carpets on the decks , as had bedroom and dayroom and got quite used to ship , and like most vessels when on a long time one forgets one has a permanent home elsewhere. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st November 2018 at 09:37 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Judging by the number of Philippino's as crew on ships, in particular cruise ships, there can be very few left in the Philippines now.
    But they do work well and are very friendly and competent crew.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have not worked with Filipinos at sea but an awful lot of clinical employees in the local hospitals are from the Philippines and they actually do a great job and almost to a man or woman appeared to have a wonderfully cheerful disposition along with great gratitude for our NHS providing them with enough money to send back and support their family at home so away from the Marine environment I would praise the Filipino people as diligent hard-working happy employees

Comes to ships accommodation the biggest was on a 1960s built tanker built at Haverton Hill for an American company and my cabin was huge and the shower was bigger than any toilet and shower I've ever had in a house in the UK the worst accommodation I ever had was on the SS Normannia , which had a small cabin with a quite high bunk and you could lie on the bunk in the second engineers cabin look through the teak decking planks above your head painted white with the caulking marking the join lines between the planks and I swear if they have given me the instrumentation but I could have taken a star site through the gaps
    Last edited by robpage; 22nd November 2018 at 07:31 AM.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like being on the bridge of a ship Rob with many awning spars on the wings. I spent the best part of 13 years strolling around with an old vernier sextant at twilight and dawn , saying, twinkle twinkle little star , how I wonder where you are, behind the awning spar, come out you basket. Used to ease the frustration most of the time. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The worst accommodation i was on was an old Hains boat, 4 to a cabin, and one cabin of five, and as Peggy, i had to get up in the morning , very early, not disturbing the rest of the occupants, and then have to creep into the other cabins, remembering which bunks the dayworkers were in, and give them a shake with a cup of tea, and take the abuse if you shook the wrong guy, kt
    R689823

12. Likes Captain Kong, Jim Brady liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Worst cabin I had was Blue Funnels Autolycus 4th engineer, Best was the British Merchant, Large day room, entrance hall, Large double bedroom and real luxury was the bathroom as the floor was heated. Also the air con was climatic control so you could select what temp you wanted in the day room I used to keep it at 26 degrees and the bedroom 20degrees. Full entertainment centre, TV, DVD CD multi stack system. If I wanted to phone the wife I had sat phone on tap in the day room ,also wifi (but it was not great)I reckon if you were on a cruise ship and had similar accommodation you would be paying top $$$$ for it. There were 3 cabins on the top deck myself .the Oldman and the C/eng. I had the best views as well the Oldman had to stare at the compressor house .
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 22nd November 2018 at 11:05 AM.

14. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    The worst accommodation i was on was an old Hains boat, 4 to a cabin, and one cabin of five, and as Peggy, i had to get up in the morning , very early, not disturbing the rest of the occupants, and then have to creep into the other cabins, remembering which bunks the dayworkers were in, and give them a shake with a cup of tea, and take the abuse if you shook the wrong guy, kt
    Hi Keith.
    Been there did that on the Trevose.
    Cheers Des

16. Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast