I noticed when in company with my cousin who finished up lecturing and may of been there at South Shiely when you were there Rob, that he had a tendency to always amplify that he was a steam engineer with a motor endorsement. The same as my friend who was drowned at sea, he was a bit more outspoken on the subject and said all proper engineers were steam. Obvious rivalry , was always good natured though, but think they believed it themselves. Think dispensations came on scene after the war and replaced the old permit system. The dispensation only covered the ship you were on , and had to present yourself to an examiner for any other vessel. The inconvenience must have been awkward , plus the salary was less. However have sailed with many top notch engineers to me, but I am not an engineer and not qualified to quote their capability’s. The closest I ever got was when giving a toast in their company , Cheers Queers and Engineers, the last bit said quietly into my glass as supped it quickly . Cheers JS