Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lng update

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lng update

A big failure of the green lobby is not giving accurate facts and telling us what they want us to hear my PT there is we now have 4 years experience of the right-hand drive Tesla and you cannot drive from Weston-super-Mare to London on one charge you need to stop part way and carry out a fast charge which on the Tesla is free because they have some kind of deal with the charging point company . The car itself is equivalent to vehicles like the Audi A6 the Mercedes E-Class BMW 5 Series so is priced in bracket of its equivalents . The green lobby are to what I can see a bunch of people who are operating on a do it as I tell you printable not do it as I do . It would be like having a political party standing for the Working Man that was run and staffed by people have been to private school and Oxford University it again do as we tell you not do as we do .

Not giving the whole figure which includes the disposal of the battery at the end of its life and in fact not telling his how long that life is and not including the exhaust gas contamination from the power station and pretending that all the fuel for your electric car come from a windmill means that if you read the news papers you only read half the story

When you dig deeper into the whole world of green and you look at the incorrect and incomplete fact it makes you seriously doubt anything that they say

So my point was the Tesla isn't new we have 4 years operating experience and therefore we have facts not what the glossy brochure tells us and those facts tell us but the Range is not brilliant that's why I like to get the accurate information and make my own mind up
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Lewis McColl Guest

Nothing new about electric vehicles, we all remember Bread Vans and I am sure there are still Milk floats around. Still if governments are serious about pollution levels in cities bring back trolley buses, at least there is less disruption to the road networks when you consider how long it takes to dig up roads to put tram lines down.
    Also make better use of coastal shipping and get a lot of Trucks off the roads.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Flaring at LNG plants is only used as a last resort now(safety) I retired in 2013 so not up to the latest developments but the shore plants and modern build LNG carriers are mostly into Reliquefaction (not a new concept).
    https://www.engineering-airliquide.c...reliquefaction
    LNG is a much cleaner fuel than Heavy fuel oil, ask any steam ship LNG engineer, how often they have to blow tubes when burning the BOG from the cargo tanks.
    Nice one Lewis, once a week instead of every day, and no crap to be seen.
    There was an unofficial competition in the gas tanker fleet to see who could burn the least amount of heavy oil (base burner or pilot light might be a better term). Around 2 / 3 tons a day compared with 80 tons a day for a similar sized vessel. Everywhere was clean around the burners. My last one was 78 / 79 so things must be even better by now.
    I recall in Lumut (Brunei) most of the vapor return was flared during loading. I was told that the energy burned could run Tokyo for a day or more.
    In 2009, my current company insulated a new return line on the jetty and by then they were flaring very little as they had the capacity to reliquify.

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian it is all about the emissions, if memory serves you don't drive a lot? so you run an older car? but how is this for fair play. The all-electric Tesla Model S price will be from £49,900 in the UK
    The high-performance, all-electric Tesla Model S price will be from £49,900 in the UK, with first right-hand drive deliveries expected by March next year. The price includes the £5,000 government plug-in car grant. I don't know to many people who live in the North end of Birkenhead who will be shopping for a £50 k car and get a £5k grant from the UK government, so maybe your £250 a year Green tax is helping fund the well off to go green !!!
    Once every one has an electric car the government will have to recoup the lost revenue from somewhere, so be prepared (if you are still around that is) for possibly "rubber tax"for depositing rubber on tarmac, could they use a carbon tax for use of carbon black in the rubber mix; I am sure there will be a bright spark who will find something vehicle related to tax us on.

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing new about electric vehicles, we all remember Bread Vans and I am sure there are still Milk floats around. Still if governments are serious about pollution levels in cities bring back trolley buses, at least there is less disruption to the road networks when you consider how long it takes to dig up roads to put tram lines down.
    Also make better use of coastal shipping and get a lot of Trucks off the roads.
    Newcastle had double deck trolley buses when I was young and ditched them in the 60s for the more efficient and flexible diesels. Bergen in Norway has had trolley buses for years now, I never could understand the logic of trams, the capital investment is huge compared with trolley buses.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 9th November 2018 at 02:46 AM.

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In Land Rover today for servicing and the guy there told me Land Rover and Jaguar will be producing Electric cars in the near future.

It is estimated they will be able to recharge in less than one hour but only up to about 70%.
    Fine in the towns, but in countries such as Oz where it is not un common to drive as much as 100 klm just for work it may not be so good.

It is all a matter of horses for courses and our courses here are bloody big ones.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    In Land Rover today for servicing and the guy there told me Land Rover and Jaguar will be producing Electric cars in the near future.

It is all a matter of horses for courses and our courses here are bloody big ones.
    jaguar are already selling an electric car in the uk at present...........cappy
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 9th November 2018 at 02:47 AM.

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Telsa warranty the battery for 8 years. Battery replacement cost 12,000 dollars.
    To produce one tonne of Lithium requires 500,000 gallons of water. Rivers in China have been polluted by the chemicals used in the production of Lithium.
    But hey ho it's green!!!!!!
    Vic

12. Thanks robpage, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I lifted this from todays issue of LNG Shipping news, and wondered where will they get the adequately qualified and experienced crews to run all these additional ships, is there a potential disaster in the offing?

The LNGC fleet is due to experience its biggest expansion this year.

This will help to continue facilitating spot trade development, meet growing tonne/mile demand, largely driven by rising US LNG flows to Asia, and serve the new wave of supply expected from pre-FID export projects after 2020, a new report from S&P Global Platts said.

The ramp-up of US liquefaction capacity through 2020 will continue to be a key driver of tonne/mile demand and spot shipping prices, while China’s growing gas appetite and LNG terminal expansion will likely result in both additional demand and greater seasonality, making shipping flexibility an even greater necessity.

Despite the decline in ship finance and rising interest rates, LNG shipping continues to attract investment.

By the end of this year, more than 70 new LNGCs will have been delivered - over 8 mill cu m, compared with 4.1 mill cu m in 2017.

In the first seven months of 2018, 28 large LNGCs were ordered, more than the 26 ordered in 2016 and 2017 combined. The record for new orders was set in 2014 when 62 LNGCs were contracted in the 12-month period.

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    Telsa warranty the battery for 8 years. Battery replacement cost 12,000 dollars.
    To produce one tonne of Lithium requires 500,000 gallons of water. Rivers in China have been polluted by the chemicals used in the production of Lithium.
    But hey ho it's green!!!!!!
    Vic

It was reported here today that an Electric vehicle requires five times as much copper, in wiring etc, as a conventional one.
    But hey, all we have to do is mine more of it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

16. Likes vic mcclymont liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So let them burn LNG but remind the greens it comes from USA frackers too
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

18. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast