Thread: Message in a Bottle

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Message in a Bottle

Well I did it - don't know if any of you lads and lasses did it - put a message in a bottle and threw it over the side - I did six in all - three in the South Atlantic two in the North Atlantic and one in the North Sea. I might add not wishing to be blamed for the plastic litter problem, they were all glass. Needless to say and the very same as my luck with the Lottery, I have never received a bl**dy reply. I very carefully screwed the tops down and even used glue in the threads. Gave my full name and address and shipping line but hey ho they must still be at sea, a bit like my last parcel from a good friend in South America - must have been in one of those containers that is now forming a new ecological site at the bottom of the ocean somewhere. Anyone here committed a bottle to the deep and I don't mean empty alcoholic ones
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Message in a Bottle

A little bit more on this at;

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/n...21=#post312816

Regards,

Keith,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Forget the Message Chris just send me the Bottle LOL

But more on the question,yes indeed I too had once thrown a bottle over the side with similar details Chris,and like you have never received a damn thing in return!
    As yours mine too was well sealed ,but with it being Glass I fear that with the Rough Seas and so much Traffic going to and fro that Glass Bottles may not have stood much of a chance ?? May be we should have used Plastic LOL
    But who knows hey possibly because we never heard someone from far way could well have spotted one on a Remote Beach or wherever ,but never reported!??
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Thanks Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think a number of us did that, I put several over the side in South Atlantic, Indian Ocean and even the Irish sea.
    Not one bloody reply, maybe they could not understand English?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was a report yesterday regarding plastic bottles, one had been washed ashore in UK, forget where, from 50 years ago, apparently very clean, and the photo of it showed 4p old money off, so still hope yet lads, kt
    R689823

7. Thanks Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the first international advertising campaign by the Guinness brewery was the Atlantic Bottle drop in 1959. I have a picture of my father and the 2 nd mate on the California Star which was one of the ships involved. Daily they had to throw over a number of sealed empty Guiness bottles that had a message in them asking any finder to report when and where they found it. My dad and mother were treated to a 4 day holiday in Dublin with my dad being given a tour of the brewery and been presented with a commerative tankard, which I still have.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I once sailed with second mate who had a case full of glass vials each one securely stoppered by pitch, inside each was a scroll of paper headed "Message from God". After our noon fix (I was the third mate) he would ceremoniously cast one over the side. I never got to read any of the messages and I often wonder if God ever replied to a finder!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe God is now looking for him to make him answerable for his contamination of the seas by today’s rules and regulations. Did the 2/m get the idea from Bob Geldoff and his message in a bottle, some considered him a God. I considered him a rip off artist when I saw some of the cargoes of freebies going into the Sudan and places. All the graft that goes on in these countries and no one in high office seems to be aware of. One can only assume they are accomplices by association. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th October 2018 at 02:42 AM.

11. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

this is a repost from another thread.....

I'm tinkering with vol2 of memoir. Here's a fragment about a sojourn in Birkenhead in 1957:

I've also been to the post office. I've had a letter bearing an Egyptian stamp from a refugee schoolboy in the Gaza Strip, that scrap of Palestinian territory to the south-west of Israel which recently changed hands from Israeli to Egyptian control. Jamal does not mention the troubles of his homeland, but writes in a simple English how he found my note inside a sealed bottle washed up on the Gazan shore. I'd quite forgotten fashioning that message in a bottle and throwing it over the side of the troopship Dunera. It splashed into the sea as we sailed by the Rock of Gibraltar into the Mediterranean in April 1956. After fourteen months that brown beer bottle had journeyed the full length of the Mediterranean Sea; that's 2,500 miles. Jamal keeps a stamp collection and hopes that I might sometimes send him stamps from places I visit. I wrote a reply, and slipped some British stamps and a few foreigners inside the envelope.....

And we all recall the ditty:

an old beer bottle
    came sailing o'er the foam
    an old beer bottle
    ten thousand miles from home
    and in it was a message
    these words were written on
    whoever finds this bottle
    will find the beer all gone ....
    Harry Nicholson