Thread: Life in the Merchant Navy: Training, Rations, Dangers and Exotic Sights

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Life in the Merchant Navy: Training, Rations, Dangers and Exotic Sights

Early in 1942 I applied to join the Merchant Navy. 16years was the minimum age for deck hands and 16 for catering staff. I persuaded my mother to sign the necessary forms.
    In September 1942 I entrained at Paddington Station for Lydney, a small whistle stop near the Severn River railway bridge.
    On arrival at Lydney I found about 30 other boys all enroute to the training ship. The hut, which comprised the station, was covered with the names and initials of past travellers.

Read on here Thanks to The Peoples War

BBC - WW2 People's War - Life in the Merchant Navy: Training, Rations, Dangers and Exotic Sights

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Life in the Merchant Navy: Training, Rations, Dangers and Exotic Sights

His description of life on the Vindi was as most of us remember back in the 60's.
    Obviously over time nothing changed.
    But times then were even harder than for us years later, tough but on reflection, good.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Life in the Merchant Navy: Training, Rations, Dangers and Exotic Sights

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Early in 1942 I applied to join the Merchant Navy. 16years was the minimum age for deck hands and 16 for catering staff. I persuaded my mother to sign the necessary forms.
    In September 1942 I entrained at Paddington Station for Lydney, a small whistle stop near the Severn River railway bridge.
    On arrival at Lydney I found about 30 other boys all enroute to the training ship. The hut, which comprised the station, was covered with the names and initials of past travellers.

Read on here Thanks to The Peoples War

BBC - WW2 People's War - Life in the Merchant Navy: Training, Rations, Dangers and Exotic Sights

I was at the Vindicatrix in the summer 1953, so I was at School all through the War, when I joined the Merchant Navy, and they sent me to the Vindi, I was hoping for some good food. I'm still hoping. Terry Calpin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I enjoyed every day at the Vindi, 17 March 1952
    didnt want to leave, 3 months on deck.Hut B3 then the last six weeks on the ship. I was Boeun on the ship and got that as my first discharge in my Discharge Book
    I got a beautiful blue eyed blond girl first week I was there and we stayed together for three years after.
    I used to stay at her home with her family when I was on leave.
    and 45 years later I got a Birthday card and a phon e call from her, Magic.

Terry Sullivan Guest

I had a very cold winter stay on the Vindi in 1945, we were proud of the fact that no one "jumped class" as quite a few did even though it meant being called up for the services in due course or possibly for work in the coal mines.
    R340406 Terry Sullivan