Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Heads up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Heads up

Quote Originally Posted by john walker View Post
    you will have to excuse my ignorance on things like vpn's etc but is this how people like Bengy manage to keep joining the site under different names???
    I have Avira anti virus on my desktop computer, it's a free download and very good and for a small monthly fee you can upgrade to Avira pro. It's latest upgrade came with a free add on VPN ,( virtual private network), which in simple terms makes internet providers of content think that your computer is in a different country to that it physically is.
    This means that if you have a VPN loaded on your computer you can watch the.v. programs that are streamed on the internet, such as BBC iPlayer, in any country around the world. Without VPN, if you are abroad and attempt to login to iPlayer it can see that you are not in the U.K. physically and you get the message that you are not allowed to view content. You don't have to view the program on you computer, it's a simple matter of hooking up your computer to your telly either by a HDMI cable or via wireless using Chromecast or similar if you don't have a smart t.v.
    Rgds
    J.A.

2. Thanks john walker, Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Heads up

The main purpose of having Virtual Private Network on your computer, iPad or smartphone is not primarily to watch tv programmes in other countries, that’s just an added bonus. It’s main function is to encrypt everything that you send from your computer or disguise who you are while browsing the Internet. VPN providers do this through their own network of IP addresses, any of which you can randomly choose whether it be in another country (slower throughput) or in your country of residence. By being encrypted, your email or browsing cannot be intercepted by noseyparkers and those that monitor your movement while online. It is particularly useful if you use free internet services outside of your home. This is a favorite target of those that want access to your computer or cell phone data. VPN renders this impossible. It should be remembered that downloading or opening unknown attachments is the main source of computer intrusion i.e. malware and bugs. Common sense prevents this happening, VPN service cannot prevent it. Subscription to any VPN service typically includes up to 4 - 5 devices and some even provide log-free service, meaning that they cannot log your movement online even if requested by authorities during investigations. For the annual fee, typically around $60 and the use of it in up to 4 - 5 devices, it’s a must for safety reasons alone. All corporation laptop users have VPN installed on their computers to give them secure access to company data while out of the office. I live in Orlando and use IPVanish, have done so for about 4 years. As a footnote, I no longer get aggravating pop-ups on my iPad following a browsing session, trying to attract me to items that I’d been looking at. This is because they cannot track your movement.
    Do yourselves a favor and subscribe but not to the free VPN services, that usually comes with caveats and not log free.
    Duke Drennan R809731

4. Thanks happy daze john in oz, John Arton thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2