Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Titanic- The Real Truth.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Titanic- The Real Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #7 I may be wrong John but have always assumed that it is usual for the plate itself to crack around the area of the rivet hole. I was brought up where riveted ships were still discussed in ship construction and the only remedy that the ship could do to affect temporary repairs, was to drill a hole at the end of the crack to hopefully stop the crack spreading. If I had to do such would also put a cement box round as well which I did so on an old wartime built ship through the shell in the double bottoms. The ship itself later reached the Taiwan knackers yard so must have held ok. Cheers JWS
    Correct John , yes you drill a hole to stop the spread.
    But this piece of the bow was not in good condition but the rivets could be seen along with holes where they had gone.
    There were a few rivets on separate display if I recall with a notice about their quality.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Fouro liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Correct John , yes you drill a hole to stop the spread.
    But this piece of the bow was not in good condition but the rivets could be seen along with holes where they had gone.
    There were a few rivets on separate display if I recall with a notice about their quality.
    Rivet heads will sheer off, regardless of whether they are made of cast iron/iron or steel when they meet an immoveable object at speed and especially when their metallurgical properties may(or may not) have been altered by extreme temperatures, it is a question of physics rather than construction, plus hindsight is one of the least valuable commodities available

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To knock the head off a rivet, or more technically to share the rivet between the plates the resistance to the shear force well vary according to the metal used, cast iron having the least resistance to shear wrought iron and steel being greater . My understanding is that there are metallurgical differences between the formulation in a rivet as to whether it is applied by men with big hammers or buy a machine hammer I think the one applied by men with big hammers is softer so it will spread easier the one applied by machine hammers is more resilient and has a higher shear force . But regardless if you hit the immovable object with a great big weight of a ship turning a long and quite a lot of knots it doesn't matter what you make them from they will pop . We seem to have spent the last 106 years working out why it sank with every reason that has come from the theorists except the one that says lookout didn't see the iceberg ship hit it plates went 7 compartments were breached ship sank much better explanation than all the blame Game
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

5. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some of these older captains liked to rule by the book and a deck officer would not dare alter course without his permission, perhaps they just left it to late to avoid the iceberg. Visibility must have been good as there flares were seen 15 miles away.

7. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many ships collided with ice bergs head on, and survived, that only damaged the forepeak and collision bulkhead,
    Titanic`s alteration caused the ice to slice along several compartments thus sinking her.

9. Likes Fouro, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin McClelland View Post
    Some of these older captains liked to rule by the book and a deck officer would not dare alter course without his permission, .
    Sailed with a couple of those, usually the most difficult to rouse and never did, as following the rules of the Col Regs never found that I put the vessel or my fellow shipmates in danger. Most of the Masters I sailed with were only too happy to pass on their expertise as the sooner the juniors learnt what was acceptable and was not the sooner the Master could sleep easy

11. Likes robpage, Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Steering blunder by the helmsman is blamed for the sinking of Titanic. Click on to the html to read about it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...e-Titanic.html

Fouro.

13. Thanks happy daze john in oz, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes robpage liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#14...Sailed with one like that Colin when I was 3 mate. He the mate and second mate had all sailed together during the war one rank down. They were as thick as thieves but. He would still want to be on the bridge any ships at sea, and I had jump up on down above his head to tell him. Going into port he was as quite as a mouse until the pilot had finished berthing the ship and then he became all officious and overbearing. He was sailing under false colours and just shows that those that sailed under war conditions had no difference in common sense. Years later he was. The. Same as most and looking for work and finished up on. A supply boat working out of west Africa , lasted one trip as unable to do his own pilotage and ship handling. A real poseur , there were a few more I knew but not as bad as this one. Cheers JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 8th May 2018 at 11:54 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stories about the Titanic, and any other ship that sank, will always abound.

No matter who tells them the real truth is often clouded by the accounts of one or more who tell what they believe happened.

I am not saying the lady has it wrong, just that she has only one account of what occurred, and only the version of one man.

No doubt stories from survivors would all tell different versions of what they think occurred.
    Whilst this story is feasible it is only one of many surrounding what may never be fully understood.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

16. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fouro View Post
    Steering blunder by the helmsman is blamed for the sinking of Titanic. Click on to the html to read about it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...e-Titanic.html

Fouro.
    This explanation was going the rounds when I was a kid, and this steering anomaly of vessels of that era has been mentioned on this site many years ago by myself and others in discussions about the Titanic and other vessels.

So she didn't want the secret to die with her!!! what a lot of balderdash! she has a book to sell and no one's probably heard of her, has anyone on here read her books or heard of her

18. Thanks robpage thanked for this post
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast