Thread: Nab tower

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Nab tower

There cannot be too many here who has not at sometime passed the Nab Tower and wondered at its strange construction for a lighthouse.
    It was actually designed and built to be part of a series of gun towers, linked by nets, to be placed in the Dover straits protect shipping from German u boats in ww1, but by the end of thread only one had been completed at a huge cost. A second one was partially completed and remained in Shoreham harbor until it was demolished in the 1920's.
    The completed one was converted into a lighthouse and sunk over the Nab rocks, replacing the lightship that had previously been stationed there.
    All those times I passed it on my way up to Fawley I never thought of it as anything else other than a lighthouse and it was only when I was watching a episode of Coast that it's real reason for its construction and how it was built, was revealed.
    Rgds
    J.A.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Nab tower

The Fort, NO MANS FORT near by is also interesting, they were built during the Napoleonic wars, this one was sold recently for a few Million Pounds and is now a Luxurious hotel. costs around £250 a night. good reports on it.
    My son who lives in Hampshire said next time I go down there he will treat me to it.
    I must have passed it dozens of times when I was in ESSO and others.
    Cheers
    Brian
    https://solentforts.com/no-mans-fort
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 23rd May 2018 at 10:40 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Nab tower

No mans land fort is built on the seabed obviously, and then they sunk artesian wells for the water supply, there is an drone view available to see it online. tennis courts in the centre of which at one time was the parade ground.. Nab tower has been clobbered by ships from time to time, and both sustaining damage, bit difficult to see !!! ruddy great tower with a light on top !!!, also used to have a RDF transmitter which was useful, but i suppose now discontinued, kt
    R689823

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post