Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Bowbelle, Wreck of Souls.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bowbelle, Wreck of Souls.

Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

2. Thanks cappy, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###57 or 58 years ago rob .......where did it go .........but wouldnt have missed it for anything .......cheers cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Captain I was on the Bow Queen joined it in isle of dogs I think opposite the City Arms pub.We went to the patch we were on the anchor. And it was real rough I was in the little box (winch Housing) on the wing of the bridge operating the winch trying to stop the suction arm hitting the bottom. Around 2am in the morning the mate who was on his 1st trip on a dredger, he was off Port line deep sea man said go and tell the captain its to rough to dredge, so I went down to the captains cabin, put him on the shake and said the mate told me to tell you its to rough to dredge, the captain(ex Hull Trawler man) said in his hull accent you tell the mate ill tell him if its to frickin rough to dredge . anyway cut along storey short we tried to get to Zeebruge but it was to rough, we did sail for zeebruge in the end and I can see why the British dredging co lost ships to weather .After arriving in Belgium a ballast works up a canal ,I asked to go to the Doctors where I made up some illness and the doctor said its best I pay off, went back on board the skipper was in the galley with the old Polish cook who had a reputation on the dredgers ,he used to drink in the Londoner pub, wonder if you sailed with him he was about 70 yrs old a big drinker .I said to the Captain that the doctor has said I can pay of and in his big hull voice he said you can pay off as far as I'm concerned you soft southern bastard , after winding him up by asking him for a fiver to get a drink on the ferry, I got a taxi to the Ferry and bummed a lift up the A2 off of one o the passengers once in Dover.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    ###57 or 58 years ago rob .......where did it go .........but wouldnt have missed it for anything .......cheers cappy
    This post might refresh your memories cappy.

• View topic - EL FLAMINGO (BRITISH DEFENDER)

Fouro.

6. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###thanks fouro sure jogged the old memory.......what a goings on in that vessel sailed 23 or so dec 59......short of hands......got some dr merchants looking for a jump at xmas ..took two out of strangeways...i suppose the term was a motley crew self included....bottling before we sailed ......cleaver attack at sea and long gone memories refreshed.....cheers cappy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fouro View Post
    This post might refresh your memories cappy.

• View topic - EL FLAMINGO (BRITISH DEFENDER)

Fouro.

8. Thanks Fouro thanked for this post
    Likes Fouro, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

It emerged that Henderson had drunk five pints of lager and had slept for only three hours before starting his shift. He had also sailed away from the scene of the accident, and provided no assistance to the survivors fighting to stay afloat in the strong currents.
    There was no MayDay call, and Henderson did not deploy his life-rafts and life-vests.

IN 1995, THE CORONER’S INQUEST produced a verdict of “unlawful killing”. Henderson had not complied with regulations, and should have issued a warning blast before negotiating the bend near Cannon Street railway bridge.

The Marine Accident Investigation Branch stated that the Bowbelle had a blind spot, caused by the low wheelhouse and too much dredging gear stowed on deck. There had also been poor use of look-outs on both vessels, and a failure to properly instruct and monitor Bowbelle’s crew.
    Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott ordered a full public hearing in 2000. The damning report mentioned that the Bowbelle was well known on the Thames as a “rogue ship” that had already been involved in a number of collisions.
    It emerged that Henderson had drunk five pints of lager and had slept for only three hours before starting his shift. He had also sailed away from the scene of the accident, and provided no assistance to the survivors fighting to stay afloat in the strong currents.
    There was no MayDay call, and Henderson did not deploy his life-rafts and life-vests.
    Summing up, Lord Justice Clarke said that this was a catastrophe that should never have happened. He made more than 30 new recommendations to improve river safety and restrict the use of alcohol. Surprisingly, Henderson retained his skipper’s licence, and no further action was ever taken.

10. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

''that was all reported in an ealier post

12. Thanks Captain Kong, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Asno further action was taken against Capt Henderson , i can only assume the MAIB found no case tp answer ,, I would questiom ta they knew what had happenedf
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

14. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###thanks fouro sure jogged the old memory.......what a goings on in that vessel sailed 23 or so dec 59......short of hands......got some dr merchants looking for a jump at xmas ..took two out of strangeways...i suppose the term was a motley crew self included....bottling before we sailed ......cleaver attack at sea and long gone memories refreshed.....cheers cappy
    we had two lads from north shields jacky maily ab and another jacky bailey a fireman .....one dived of the crosstrees one jumped i went up to dive but admit i ducked out and jumped ...the old manstopped it as when one dived he missed the rail by a couple of inches or so.....the ship was alive with parrots......i had a monkey .....it was a learning curve you couldnt get today proper ships and friendships in shields made for life.....a old fireman built like the proverbial knocked me cold for running on a tanker .....learned a lesson never forgot......happy days hard times......saved enough to buy a motorbike ....not much to spend it between abadan aden and every craphole on the indian coast ...seen the bodies shoved in a wagon dead in the mornings and rats eating body parts in the waters of bombay madrass etc ......colledge education ...you can stuff it...it was the real old world....cheers fouro cappy

16. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

we had two lads from north shields jacky maily ab and another jacky bailey a fireman .....colledge education ...you can stuff it...it was the real old world....cheers fouro cappy
    ###just for good order that wasnt spinning a yarn that is how it was in the late 50s......cappy

- - - Updated - - -

cheers davy pleased to be back and looking forward to the patter ..watch the slippery snow coming back after you have had your bevvies ...cappy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
    Glad to see you back Cappy Watch out sheep !
    Cheers !
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 11th December 2017 at 07:10 PM.

18. Thanks N/A, Fouro thanked for this post
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast