This is taken from papers I have recording my fathers time serving as Master on Salvage tugs.
Background
In 1940 my dad left Blue Star line where he was sailing as 2nd Mate, passed his Masters licence and signed up to the RNR where the Admiralty in their wisdom gave him the rank of 1st Lieutenant and appointed him Mate of the Rescue tug H.M.R.T Salvonia, he went on to serve as Master on the following Rescue Tugs, Prudent and St. Olaves. He was based in Campbelltown and Milford Haven during the War and although he must have carried out a number of rescues the only one I know of for sure is the assistance given to the S.S. Ledaal in November 1941 as I have the Admiralty note to him requesting his report on the services rendered to that vessel.
On leaving the RNR and Rescue tugs he joined Overseas Towing in Falmouth serving as Master on the Empire Mary (it was renamed the Marinia.
In Jan 1950 he left Overseas Towing to take over the "Hercules" in Newport being employed by Bland and Co. of Gibraltar via their agents Watts Watts. The Hercules was an ex German vessel the "Agir" in 42 and had been taken over by the U.K. Government and rebuilt as a salvage tug. She ended her life in Turkey serving as a Pilot Station and a Research Vessel.
For the voyage from Wales to Gibraltar the following was the crew wages
Master £60 plus 1.5% commission of the amount received by employers as their share of any salvage award in respect of salvage services rendered by the Hercules whilst under your command.
2.5% commission on the amount received by employers on any towage services provided by the Hercules whilst under your command. If no salvage or towage occurred during the year then a £50 bonus was to be paid to the Master.
2nd Mate Tully, (employed only to take her to Gib) £34 p/m plus 10/- per day whilst on passage
Bosun £20 p/m
Fireman & Greasers 18 p/m
Sailors £17 p/m
Steward's and Cook £17 p/m
Boy £9 p/m
Once in Gib. it would appear that most of the crew were replaced by locals
From 1950 to 1952 the Hercules carried out the following salvages
Rumba
Julia C.
Heathmore
Newberry Victory
Jankiki
Cleophie Ioanna
Ciudad de Alicante
Frosti
Paris City
Soro
Misox.
If you go to the Reardon Smith website under "Paris City", there is a full account of the salvage
Orient City (2) - memories page 1
On leaving Blands in 52 these are some of his commissions received
Heathmore £22. 15. 9.
Eskridge £6. 7. 8.
Soro £47. 3. -
Thelidomus £4. 10.
Misox £102 2. 5.
Rumba £ 40 0. 7.
Ciuded de Alicante £47. 2. 1.
Sovac (towage) £61. 17. 6.
Frosti £16. 16. 11

Paris City £250
Jankiki £150
Newberry Victory £400
Ally £150
Cleophie Ioanna £300
The last 5 sums were hand written on letter sent to dad from Bland's when he left.
rgds
J.A.