Thread: Ships anchor/torpedo

Lewis McColl Guest

Default Ships anchor/torpedo

Have a read of the attached link and see what you think. These RN guys are supposed tobe experts, also the ships master & C/off need to have think about there actions.https://www.humansatsea.com/2017/10/...toric-torpedo/

“The fuel cargo was pumped into the aftermost possible tanks to reduce the effects of any explosion, and fire hoses were charged and ready to deploy if needed.

Now maybe I have forgot a wee bit about hydrocarbons.
    Have I got this wrong?? You have a full tank of oil, this means less vapour space yes? now the vapour space is a gas space, which unless it has an inert gas blanket on top supplied by the ships IG system is or can be an explosive mixture(okay I can accept that perhaps it is over rich so unless you introduce O2 it will remain stable)
    Now the decision was made to transfer the cargo to the aft tanks. So we now have a situation were we have a tank now full of a hydrocarbon vapour/gas A BIGGER BOMB, unless as they transferred the oil they were pressurising the tank with the inert gas system.
    Just wonder those of us who sailed on tankers views are on how this was handled.Now I know that perhaps who ever wrote the article may not have all the facts or knows nothing about the sea or hydrocarbons but?? If this was as ordered by the RN bomb disposal people I think someone needs to point out to them that a full tankof oil is less dangerous than an empty one.
    Vessel details M/T Skaw Provider

Vessel Name:*
    M/T Skaw Provider
    IMO Number:*
    Year built:*
    Builder:*
    Selah SHIPYARD
    Flag:*
    Malta
    Port of Registry:*
    Valletta
    Call Sign:*
    9HA3641
    Type of vessel:*
    Combined chemical / oil tanker
    Type of hull:*
    Double hull
    LOA:*
    95.82 m
    Breadth (beam):*
    14.20 m
    DWT:*
    4,280 mts
    Cubic:*
    4,719 m3
    Employed:*
    Skaw
    _mg_9843.jpg
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 18th October 2017 at 12:56 PM.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Colin Wood, N/A, Nigel Smith liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ships anchor/torpedo

Quite right, even non tanker men are aware of this. Had an occasion where a heavy76 fuel tank was damaged discharging steel rail, Stop discharge, pump fuel oil above damage a weld up. No problem.

4. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post