Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: shi painting etc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default shi painting etc

Now bearing in mind i was at sea 1950-60s, and when at sea was mainly soogying, chipping or painting, now i know that the paint systems are very much better than in my day, but for you guys at sea until recently, and with much smaller crews, how often would the modern box boat go into dry dock for painting and general maintenance ?. Obviously no chipping and scraping would be done on modern ships at sea, still. it would save the engineers grizzling that they could not sleep etc with windy hammers going, kt

Lewis McColl Guest

Default Re: shi painting etc

Keith chipping and painting still goes on at least until I retired in 2013, Ships hulls these days are usually self polishing, they are coated with an anti foul paint and as soon as it is applied they try and get the bottom of the dock flooded as soon as they can so the paint never really drys out. If a ship spends a lot of time at anchor she will have what is called a a hull scrub. This envolves a diver and a glorified floor polisher and away they go, it is also normal for a propeller to be polished as well.
    A ship has to be dry docked at least twice every 5 years and it is not allowed to go beyond a 3 year period,

3. Thanks Keith Tindell, Dennis McGuckin, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Louis the Amigo, dave moore liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember a few years ago when i owned a small yacht, TBT anti foul was banned fro small craft, but was still used on ships. The price of the anti foul for small craft now is humungous, kt

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Louis the Amigo liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Keith I have done a lot of small boat sailing , I often think that owning a small boat/yacht and maintaining it is that costly it is like standing in a shower and just tearing up £20.00 notes and watch them disappear down the plug hole lol.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis, when i divided the time i spent sailing, by the lift in, lift out antifoul, engine service (volvo), moorings, insurance, sails washed. etc etc, i sold the boat, and now have a reasonable holiday every yearend still have money over kt

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Ivan Cloherty, dave moore liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Best way to go sailing is be part of the owners crew and buy them the odd beer as a thnkyou, also helpout with the odd bit of maintanence

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell, Louis the Amigo liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been awakened on a cruise ship by the sound of chipping hammers.
    It still goes on today, maintainence is paramount for ships that only spend a day for turn around.
    Painting, cleaning and keeping the ship in good shapes goes on daily.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    I remember a few years ago when i owned a small yacht, TBT anti foul was banned fro small craft, but was still used on ships. The price of the anti foul for small craft now is humungous, kt
    Hi Keith,

When I first saw the title of your thread, 'Shi Painting', I thought blimey! Keith's found himself a new oriental hobby ! (think origami or bonsai ). Anyway, just thought you might like to know that at present, here in Oz, 4 litres of antifoul (for fibreglass boats) costs anything from $250 upwards (clearly, robbery is no longer an offence in the Antipodes).

...Roger

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Keith I have done a lot of small boat sailing , I often think that owning a small boat/yacht and maintaining it is that costly it is like standing in a shower and just tearing up £20.00 notes and watch them disappear down the plug hole lol.
    Hi Lewis,

There is a saying among the 'boaties' here in Oz that a boat/yacht is simply 'a hole in the sea into which one pours money'. How bluddy true !!!

For the past twenty years I've owned a 26' fibreglass cabin cruiser which, until about two years ago, I fastidiously maintained with regular antifouling and engine service. Rather unwisely, I allowed the pleasure that boating can offer to take over my life. No expense seemed too great for my 'baby' - I was seduced ( which I hadn't been for a long time ). Strangely, although tenuous, I felt it gave me a tangible link to another life, another love, that I once knew. She was powered by a single Chrysler V8 316 petrol engine which, when new, gave her a maximum speed of 29 knots. On one occasion, with my beloved aboard, I pushed her up to 22 knots which caused the bow to rear-up like a frightened stallion (this was with trim-tabs fully adjusted), that was quite fast enough for me, thank you very much. About eight years ago I finally realised that I was no longer in a hurry to get anywhere, so decided to look for an engine a little quieter and less expensive to run. I needed something that would fit into the engine-bay, which limited my choice somewhat, however, on the advice of a fellow-boatie I finally settled on a Nanni 4 cyl. diesel (a marinised Kubota tractor engine) which runs like a sewing-machine. It is quieter, much more economic, and will still drive the boat along at 14 knots, all day if necessary (at 8 knots the Chrysler would chew-up 13 litres per.hour whereas the Nanni only uses 4.5 litres at that speed). Of course, I realised I was over-capitalising on a boat that was 30 years old, but what the h-ll thought I, we only live once. Unfortunately, since 2009 I've made far less use of the boat than I would have liked (only 160 hours with the new engine).

These past two years, due to circumstances beyond my control, she has sat idly on her mooring, with only occasional visits from Y.T. to turn the engines over, check her bilges, make sure she is sound and give the wheelhouse a quick sugi. I almost feel guilty every time I leave her. Now, however, there's sunshine on the horizon, spring is here with summer to follow, and I'm going to spend some quality-time on the water with my two youngest grandsons. As before, I shall tell them stories of my seafaring days and they'll believe every word, bless 'em. Time now to organise the antifoul, engine service and the installation of that new 'skeg' bearing I've been putting off for so long. It will probably cost $2000 plus, to get her shipshape, but when I get back behind the wheel, caress the brass-capped king spoke and feel again the movement of the sea beneath my feet I'll know it's been worth it. Expensive hobby ? you betcha! Lewis, but I dread the day when I no longer have the strength or inclination to waste my money on such folly.

........Roger

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mine was a 26ft sailing boat, and in addition to the normal costs and maintenance , the costs to go cruising and stay per night, average price to moor £35 per night, even more in some marinas. I did it for 30 years, not the same boat, different sizes, and enjoyed it when younger, but i could only afford a swinging mooring, so dinghy out with all the stores to go away etc, nah , i called it a day, now walk along the front and look at the ships anchored out in the bay, and relieve my dreams there. To walk along on a foggy morning and here the foghorns takes me back instantly, kt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast