Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Marian M

Dad was on and off this in one day
    21 nov 1960
    Very good conduct
    Very good ability
    Amble

Just wondered what that day might have included?

Thank you
    Bob

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Marian M

Did he get a days pay, or did he forfeit it ?
    JS

4. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Heres the Marian M.

marian_m.jpg
    Gallery Manager and Friend of the Website

R 693816

Please visit the Gallery to see the latest photos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Bob I came home after a few months away and had jumped in Australia ,and the stowed away to N.Z. I got lucky and worked the Cumberland home to U.K. went to the K.G.V pool ,had my committee with the manager (known as Reggie the Rat) no doubt a lot of guys on this pool would have come across him.? it was 20th December so as long as i shipped out before Christmas my VNC was covered he tried to work me away on a Haines of Glasgow ? boat .after a bit of pleading he said ok go to spillers flower mills and join a Stevie Clarkes Collier called the Harting. so I arrived at the ship signed on and before the ink dried gave the captain 48 hours notice. (home trade articles allowed this) I think this maybe what happened to dad ,he might have gave his notice in straight away and the skipper let him go the same day .
    Last edited by Mike Hall; 14th April 2020 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In signed on the CASTLEDORE and joined on 10 October 1958, We all walked off the same day just as we were about to sail, after the Master altered the ARTICLES after signing, So join and discharged 10 October 1958 same day.
    We got one months wages for it.
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 14th April 2020 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How Did he alter the Articles Brian ? That is a big infringement of the law. A shipping master if present would never condone that. It would be the loss of his job at least. Also the master if he altered after signing would have got the high jump. We had a Chinese crew who were paid off in Japan on the owners whim , think they got 3 months wages in lieu of notice and not seeing the agreement out, and they were Hong Kong Articles so was no reason to close. They did so with another ship I was on but that was legal as the ship was in Hong Kong and the Articles had to close in any case. Cheers JS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Possible run job, Which we got double pay for. It isn't impossible to run a ship even that small from lets say Liverpool to Belfast, Harland @Wolf for repairs and sign on and of in the same day in fact i cant remember anyone refusing a run job Terry.
    Last edited by Mike Hall; 14th April 2020 at 03:35 PM.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John
    When we signed on the Articles stated that it was a voyage of no more than two years, [ that was usua] unless the voyage arrived in the Continent or UK
    Then she had a charter for Coal from Rotterdam to Buenos Aires and grain back to Rotterdam, several times.
    That meant we could pay off when back in Rotterdam.
    So we joined the ship on 10 of October and as we were told to go to stations fore and aft. I saw the Articles which were in a glass case on the bulkhead in the alleyway. and saw that the CONTINENT had been scratched out.
    I called all hands back to the messroom and told them that we were going to be Shanghaied for two years.
    We walked off instead of hoisting the gangway, The Mate and Master were screaming at us.
    I went onto the telephone to Cornhill , the Shipping Office, in Liverpool where we signed on and told the Shipping Master. then phoned the Union, they all came dow to the ship and the Shipping Master had a copy of the original Articles, and confirmed that the Articles had indeed been altered.
    So the ship was held up and they had to pay us off with one months wages. We were also offered to sign on again, We all declined.
    So a Foreign Going trip ended the same day.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 14th April 2020 at 04:45 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alongside in Swansea, signed on some new guys in the afternoon; about 4 o clock ish we were leaving, I was looking over the rail as we approached the lock when one of the new guys stopped for a word, asking me did I know where we were going, I replied, back to Stanlow as far as I am aware. Are we not going deep sea he says, well I havn't heard anything like that, we have been on the coast for the last month, eff that he says and disappears.
    When we were into the lock, he reappears with a holdall, throws on to shore and then jumped for it himself, gave me a wave and legged it.
    Is that some sort of record?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Posted this before Tony, True mate i kid you not.
    I got sent to Preston Dock to join a little coaster the Catherine B, As i got out of the taxi on the quay she was about to let go, With that i threw my kit bag on her well deck and jumped aboard, The mate screamed from the focs,le surge on that head rope don't let go yet he come down the ladder to the well deck who are you he asked, E.D.H. Liverpool Pool chief i was lucky to catch her, I don't need an other deck hand he said ????????? Sorry chief that's not what this docket says, Rubbing his brow he stumbled his words out { i er,er, mmm, Don't have a cabin for you for one thing wait here i min he said running up to the bridge, One of the lads walked up the deck from the after end and whispered in my ear scouse he signed a mate of one of the lads in the boozer an hour ago. Came back down with a travel warrant for me back to L.pool Will you let Mann Island know i will be in touch and apologies i have a full crew. I got back to L.pool and went straight home the next morning went down the pool straight to the union told them the full tale. They pressed the outfit for a months pay and one days paid leave. I got a weeks pay and a days paid leave. I wasn't aboard her more than 15 minutes. Not bad for a little train journey to Preston and back. Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast