Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Pay

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pay

For anyone who has not spent long periods at sea, they don't know what that magic is like, even down to sighting another ship , when that has not happened for some time. I suppose as ex seaman we all like routine, kt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    There was paid overtime in 1953 because a first year apprentice got 9 pence an hour or was it 1/3d. For a 7 month trip had 25 pounds anyhow with of course the wages. That with the 90 pound or was it 75 pounds a year thought I was a millionaire. My indentures show 75 pounds but think we got a rise about that time. The big old white fivers everyone thought they were forgeries and had to write your name and address on the back.Good job Cappys girl friend in Japan wasn't a gold digger. Cheers JS
    Overtime as an apprentice!!! you must have sailed on your daddy's yacht!
    £72 the first year and left mum £2 10s 00d per month, some went on NHI but still managed to have a good time on what was left, our pleasures were simpler then, and looking so young was an advantage the girls wanted to mother and breast feed me

3. Thanks j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also got 12 bob a year washing money Ivan enough for a few bars of dhobey soap. Pity about the lack of water though. You could have had these luxuries if you had chosen the cream of the Tyneside companies. PS Cappies girlfriend was flat chested, think t was him that got the brother. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 19th September 2017 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ist trip one of runcimans 11 pound a month galley boy 9 month trip ......six years later 32 a month 2nd steward ore carriers plus overtime all you needed ...got engaged on it then saved enough to put deposit on ist house ...i saved she saved it was a good start

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also got 12 bob a year washing money Ivan enough for a few bars of dhobey soap. Pity about the lack of water though. You could have had these luxuries if you had chosen the cream of the Tyneside companies. PS Cappies girlfriend was flat chested, think t was him that got the brother. JS
    now as i remember it they were to twins i got the beauty and you got the tranny.....and you said if i didnt tell anybody you would see i got loads of overtime .....i can hereyour language to this day as you shot of down the hotel stairs shouting you were going to murder me ...another fine mess you got me into

7. Likes N/A, dave moore, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At least Cappy you weren't as daft as the galley boy on the Pennyworth. The young Dalgliesh and his sister used to come on board in Middlesbrough and ask every one questions. The galley boy asked for a spud peeler. I told him to forget it. He didn't listen and went ahead. Daggie thought it was a good idea as well and got one installed and sacked the galley boy. Such is the impetus of youth. JS Did you hear any local gossip about them in later years. Believe the daughter died , and the son committed suicde later on. The older Dalgliesh must be a long time gone now. But he had his own problems during the war. Bet he wasn't asked to join Probus. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 19th September 2017 at 01:03 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At least Cappy you weren't as daft as the galley boy on the Pennyworth. The young Dalgliesh and his sister used to come on board in Middlesbrough and ask every one questions. The galley boy asked for a spud peeler. I told him to forget it. He didn't listen and went ahead. Daggie thought it was a good idea as well and got one installed and sacked the galley boy. Such is the impetus of youth. JS Did you hear any local gossip about them in later years. Believe the daughter died , and the son committed suicde later on. The older Dalgliesh must be a long time gone now. But he had his own problems during the war. Bet he wasn't asked to join Probus. Cheers JS
    ###heard about the son john but i can never understand anyone doing that .it is a complete disregard for others ...the mind must be truly gone...cappy

10. Likes dave moore, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As you have mentioned John I was on the Pennyworth and I cant' remember much about it.I don't recall any deck officers as you mentioned the other day even though I looked after their cabins.I was trying to remember the saloon have'nt a clue about it although I must've been saloon steward being officers steward.The only thing I remember about the saloon is being in Cardiff and waiting for the old man and somebody he was drinking in his cabin with coming in for lunch.The time was dragging on,all my mates were on deck and ashore in the pub and I was itching to go.I spotted a phone box up the quay,said to the chf/stwd I promised my girl friend I would ring her (never had a girl friend)he let me go and put my white jacket on,he will look after the saloon.What I didn't realise he was looking out of the saloon port and watched me walk passed the phone box.As it happened we all went adrift,taxis were sent to the north Star to bring us back to the ship,all logged and warned we were lucky he didn't give us a DR.
    This last post about the galley boy and spud peeler,I can't remember where the galley was or the galley boy.As we were coming alongside in Cardiff there was a guy on the quay shouting up,"is the galley boy there" the galley boy went to the rails didn't know the guy.It turned out it was my brother who lived in Cardiff the last time I met him I was galley boy on the Eastbury docked in Newport that was a few years earlier so he must've thought I was galley boy for life.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    Last edited by Jim Brady; 19th September 2017 at 03:39 PM.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I went to sea the wages were £19.50p per week, 50p less than I got ashore, but it was what I always wanted to do.
    Within a year wages had doubled to £45 per week.
    Never got paid overtime.
    Regards
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What year was that vic.? When I went 3rd mate with a. Second mates cert. in 1957 and on a company's contract was on 37 pounds 7/6d a month. 2 mate with a mates cert. in 1960 67pounds a month. mate in 1963. Mate with a masters cert. in 1963 102 pounds 12/6d a month. In all 3 cases no overtime. Went mate on a Canadian vessel after the seamens strike in 1966 and was on 750 US dollars a month. With a few passengers to play with and usually livestock on deck. Usually horses. 6 week round trips round the Caribbean dancing girls included. General cargo and mail out, bauxite back to Port Alfred, then Montreal and repeat the process. Cheers JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 20th September 2017 at 12:19 AM.

14. Likes cappy, Ivan Cloherty liked this post
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast