Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bullying

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Red face Bullying

Read an article in Shipping News - Clippings, that said over 50% of seagoing people surveyed reported to being bullied on board. The only bullyies I have met in 63 years on and about ships were union delegates from the WWF and Australian seamans union, + Yank customs and immigration officials. Some examiners for Master & Mate were definitely sadists. Chinese officials in the 50's & 60's were a bit hard to get on with, but then if you had had the little red book for breakfast dinner and tea, what would you be like..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bullying

There was nearly always one Sea lawyer or stirrer on board most ships. If he was big enough had every chance of being a bully. The thing was a bully is nearly always a coward and would make the bullets for others to fire. Expose him and he would run. Most deck apprentices would admit to being bullied at sometime during their apprenticeships be it from the mates and engineers or the deck or catering crowd. One example on my early years at sea I had every intention of killing one when he was turned in and went down aft to smash his head in, however was spotted and talked out of it by an AB. Was never bothered again by this bully, in fact he kept well clear for the remainder of the voyage, that was only one incident. Bullying goes on in every walk of life but as said they are mostly cowards and rely on scare tactics. Cheers JWS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wrote about Bullies on my first trip to sea , First Trip as a 16 year old Deck Boy, in Seafaring Stories thread in Swinging the Lamp Forum.
    I was battered and beaten up every day for nearly four months, I was going to throw myself over the wall, total misery.
    Then while tying up to the Buoys in Aden I was thumped again.
    I had Nothing to lose, I was going to die anyway, So I turned on the biggest bully of them all, and went berserk, I hammered him, I lashed him with a chain stopper, it took the 2nd Mate and anther AB to get me off him. he had to go to his bunk.
    I was treated with respect after that. Never ever bullied again.
    Happy days,
    Brian

Lewis McColl Guest

My first trip deep sea I got a good belt on the nose, not for bullying, the guy that hit was not a bully. I got the smack for being a cocky wee bastard.

I was 7th Eng at the time and was on watch with the 4th Eng 8-12 watch. He was batting for the other team and came on to me a few times. I certainly could look after myself so told him to behave. We J/eng's would rotate watches every month so I went on the 4-8 with the 2/eng. The lad that went on watch with the 4/eng was a big lad from Cardiff a gentle giant of a lad. I spotted him standing at the ships side one day when he was supposed to be on watch. I jokingly shouted down to him to get his **** down below. He looked up at me and I noticed he was crying. I went down to him and asked him had he had bad news. No, he opened up that the 4/eng had been hitting on him. I lost it I legged it down below got the fucker round the back of the boiler. He was a coward, never even tried to defend himself. He got a good kicking. The soft bastard tells the c/eng ,so we all end up in the oldmans cabin. Turns out this twat was well known for touching up the J/engs. He was sacked off the ship and was landed at Las Palmas. I am sure he left the company as well , as he was never heard of again. The 5th eng bought my beer for a week as he got his 4/engs job. I have nothing against anyone's sexuality, if they are wired different from me that is how they are made, but when one tries it on and you let them know the score that should be end off.
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 18th June 2017 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

##put a second steward on the quay in oz along with his gear told him to eff off sharp and if he came back he would go over the wall ....kicked his ass down the gangway for bullying a cabin boy ...the old mate watched knew what was going on and smiled as i came back up the gangway.....cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At an eraly age before i went to Sea i was taught how to stand up for myself by my late Dad,he was a very hard Man and taught me well.
    However i must admit to a few beatings both ashore and at Sea but soon got respect from all .
    Thats just life i suppose we learn at times the hard way.
    Best though was my training in the FFL that sealed my way to a better way of looking after myself. There were other things i did in life too. LOL
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All.
    I did 16 years at sea and was only bullied once. First trip ended in Tilbury I was Peggy one AB had grown a beard and had shaved in the bathroom sink, he told me to clean it up; as i was paying off as well as the rest of them I said no way, I was going down the ladder to get my gear when he jumped on my back and held me down till I said yes, after cleaning up I told the bosun, when we paid off everyone resigned but he was told he wasn't wanted, I guess the bosun had a word with the mate. He was a short **** and always aggressive but never picked on any of the AB's
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

des most bullies pick their marks what we called a sh.t house it only happened to me once and I was left alone after that I was 16 and very good with my fists with 3 brothers at sea I had been in enough fights with them even at a young age now I have four grown up sons none have every been in trouble but all are far from a soft touch? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can totally relate to what you're saying about bullies. It's unfortunate that bullying happens in every walk of life, even at sea. I recently had to deal with harassment online myself, and it's really disheartening how some individuals use scare tactics to intimidate others.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's interesting how you mentioned that bullies are often cowards deep down. They rely on others to do their dirty work and only feel powerful when they're able to control and manipulate others. It's important to expose them for who they truly are and stand up against their behavior. Speaking of intimidation, I came across some info online about the issue of being blackmailed. It's alarming to think that people would stoop so low as to use threats and manipulation to gain power over others. It's crucial that we create a supportive and inclusive environment where bullying and harassment are not tolerated.
    Last edited by EkayaimWyatt; 6th June 2023 at 04:16 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast