Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The urge to go to sea

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The urge to go to sea

Absolutely Johnf. I remember coming back on leave from Fiji to Sydney in 1961 and we went to see a lady and her husband and family who were very kind to me when I fled the nest at fourteen. They had just acquired a new TV and the light was out and we might as well not have bothered going to see them.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

2. Likes John F Collier liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to make a point of turning the TV off if we had company otherwise it would kill any conversation, I can remember being in a taxi going through Sydney when I saw a big crowd gathered outside a shop window and the driver said it was a
    shop with demo TV's in the window so they must have just been arriving, not sure what year that was. Cheers John F

4. Likes Richard Quartermaine liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We were married in Sydney mid 57 and I recall TV started here late in 56 in black and white when we had just got betrothed.
    Cheers, Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

6. Thanks j.sabourn, John F Collier thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Richard they reckon when TV appeared on the scene that the birthrate flattened out and started to go downhill. I was married in 1962 but endeavoured to get the system going again. Cheers JWS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recall the same thing happened to me but in Melbourne .I was walking going to the movies in fact and thought there had been an accident ,but it was a crowd watching TV in a shop window, can`t recall for sure but I think it could have been mid 1955. Regards Brian W.

9. Likes Richard Quartermaine liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are an island nation with a very strong connection to the sea ,with none of us any further than some 60 miles of the sea.
    I too had this silent urge ,but what fascinates me is the fact that whether you have been to sea for 25 months or 25 years ,that urge you had when young and the feeling of loss when you come ashore for keeps never ,ever leaves you, and the outlet for that loss is to talk and meet fellow seafarers would you agree with that John ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the biggest losses at the time at sea was when they stopped ringing the bells every half an hour, although when they did ring them you used to curse at times if couldn't sleep. For a long time after they stopped ringing them couldn"t sleep in any case as lay awake waiting for them to ring, and they never did, so was always putting bunk light on to see what time it was. Couldn't win. This also brings to mind other changes such as ringing the telegraph at noon as a time check with the engineroom. The advance of clocks almost daily or the retarding of same. Always the 2nd. mates job. Who did this on passenger ships where there must have been hundreds of clocks in staterooms and ballrooms etc.?? They wouldn't of had the sophistication of remote control years ago. As regards post 18, I only feel real comfortable when there are some seafarers present in the company, one of the many meetings I go to there is an old Port Line Electrician, and even though his name is Davey Jones is always a welcome sight. Cheers JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 26th March 2017 at 10:06 AM.

12. Thanks Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, I too was only on cargo/tankers but read something somewhere years ago that the passenger ships that were on the Aust/NZ runs lost so much silver ware ie., knives & forks that `winger` threw overboard or down **** chutes in the late 40s & 1950s ,put end to end they would circle the globe twice !..........The silver ware not the stewards !.............Brian W.

14. Thanks Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian, it was said that at the Union Castle berth in Southampton there was enough crockery etc on the seabed from the board of trade wash up on pay off day, it's a wonder they never ran aground. Also for anyone who was on deck of Castle boats, the jersey issue commanded good money ashore if skint.kt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JWS, In the two years before we got a transfer to Fiji in '59 we didn't have a TV. It was 1962 before our first came along. Damn sporting of you to get things moving. cheers
    Richard

- - - Updated - - -

Brian, that was a well known fact. And if the shipowners could nab the stewards in the act they'd have been alongside the silverware and crockery.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

17. Likes j.sabourn, N/A liked this post
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast