Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: British & Commonwealth Shipping Company

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: British & Commonwealth Shipping Company

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    I wonder why the B&C lads were always complaining about not being paid on time (65 - 67) or underpaid etc. for such a wealthy (apparently) company.
    Tony, no complaints from me on terms and conditions when I was with them.
    Vic

2. Likes Tony Taylor, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    I always got paid the rate I'd signed on for, if I didn't like the rate I went elsewhere, we knew what the rates were when we joined the profession, the minimum rates were in the NMB book.

I didn't mind shipowners getting rich, meant they could buy more ships I could serve on, I sailed on old ships (1914!) and new ships, I know which I preferred
    Ivan, With the greatest respect to you, You where on a lot more than us ships ratings, I was never far away when working out my pay off and as most ratings will agree the 3 hours overtime a day paid the government your income tax and N.I. Contributions. In fact when you went out on deck to do your 3 hours we would say to each other lets go and pay the man ? Terry.
    {terry scouse}

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    Tony, no complaints from me on terms and conditions when I was with them.
    Vic
    Vic, apologies I should have been more clear, I was actually referring to B&C engineer apprentices, a lot of who were in the same group as me at college for two years. They regularly got paid late or the wrong amount and had to get on to their office to sort it.
    At that time our money was cr-p, £14 a month in 65, if I had not got some help from the education authority with my bus fares I would have struggled,

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes vic mcclymont, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    Ivan, With the greatest respect to you, You where on a lot more than us ships ratings, I was never far away when working out my pay off and as most ratings will agree the 3 hours overtime a day paid the government your income tax and N.I. Contributions. In fact when you went out on deck to do your 3 hours we would say to each other lets go and pay the man ? Terry.
    Terry, I was on £6 a month when the Peggy was on £5 a week, and after 3.5 years I finished on £12 a month all with no overtime payments, but plenty worked. Even as a 3/m and even 2/m an AB could earn a lot more than me. My father even years earlier gave up being a 3/m and 2/m and went as bosun because he could earn more and had a family to support. The grass wasn't always greener because you wore a uniform, but I did what I did because I enjoyed it and unless you sail on the bad ships you never would appreciate the good ones.

Decades later when I had my own company unless I made a profit I couldn't pay my employees, I feel sure they had no objection to me making a profit as they were well paid and looked after, alas I never became rich but I sure worked longer hours than they did, but that's business and none of them worked until they were 73 years old, and that was a long time ago, but again I enjoyed it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never had any problems with UCL, always paid well.
    As officers steward living on the boat deck we got four hours per day at sea overtime.
    But we were on call at any time for that.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Red Lead Ted, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan, The fact that you done well for yourself I say well done you, you put in the graft and got rewarded. I was simply stressing how important those 3 hours overtime to ships ratings where. p.s Can I ask what has happened to our mate Cappy I miss his input I hope the guy is still with us and fighting fit. If he is and your in touch plz pass on my best wishes to him Regards Terry.
    {terry scouse}

11. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    Ivan, The fact that you done well for yourself I say well done you, you put in the graft and got rewarded. I was simply stressing how important those 3 hours overtime to ships ratings where. p.s Can I ask what has happened to our mate Cappy I miss his input I hope the guy is still with us and fighting fit. If he is and your in touch plz pass on my best wishes to him Regards Terry.
    Haven't heard from Cappy or John S for a long time now, like you hope they are both well. Hard work was instilled in me when I joined my first Arctic trawler at the age of 13, and then serving my time,( or should that be serving time?) with PSNC you could not be workshy as a cadet, but enjoyed all the same in a perverse sort of way. I was still climbing gangways, masts and ladders into my 70's. Now dancing in my 80's doing rock n Roll, salsa for a couple of hours uses every muscle in your body, and being asked by young ladies to dance re-awakens the memories, (alas nothing else!) of Cuba and the WCSA, better stop now before I start crying!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Haven't heard from Cappy or John S for a long time now, like you hope they are both well. Hard work was instilled in me when I joined my first Arctic trawler at the age of 13, and then serving my time,( or should that be serving time?) with PSNC you could not be workshy as a cadet, but enjoyed all the same in a perverse sort of way. I was still climbing gangways, masts and ladders into my 70's. Now dancing in my 80's doing rock n Roll, salsa for a couple of hours uses every muscle in your body, and being asked by young ladies to dance re-awakens the memories, (alas nothing else!) of Cuba and the WCSA, better stop now before I start crying!
    Get the odd note from JS, think he OK just now.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    I wonder why the B&C lads were always complaining about not being paid on time (65 - 67) or underpaid etc. for such a wealthy (apparently) company.
    It is going on still but to a greater degree, out here a restaurant owner and TV chef underpaid his staff over 7million dollars something they found most were doing which was chicken feed to Woolworth's the big grocery conglomerate, they under paid staff over 300 million Dollars, it was a slight hiccup by accounts
    Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des, the problem lies with the accounting systems and the way in which they are used, there may also be staff involvement.

When managing the catering operations at the UNi I had clock cards for all the staff.
    At the end of each week I would check them make any changes needed. Sometimes staff forgot to clock on or off.

I would then pass them to the accounts to process.
    The number of complaints from staff because the accounts had not taken my changes into account when processing.

As to Woolworths, I was with them for some time back in the 80's. There are two staff levels, the basic award staff and management.
    The problem was with the management level.
    But what is hard to comprehend is why no management level ever brought this up?

As to the restaurants, the head chef would not be doing the accounts, that would be the pay office.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

17. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast